when did you start your little one on regular milk?

not when are you supposed to but when did you? because a lot of doctors say not to do things or to do things and a lot of mothers know better

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 3:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started Kaylee at 11 months with giving her 3-4oz of whole milk with her lunch. I planned on taking her off formula and her bottle (she only used it at night since she was 9 months old) when she hit 12 months but I still had formula left over so it ended up being closer to 13 months, but the minute she was done with formula I threw her bottle away and haven't looked back since.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I started Leila at about 11.5 months adding 1 oz of milk to her formula and then increasing it slowly. We left the country right after she turned 1 so I wanted her switched before we left. She did fine.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• mine were dairy sensitvie from birth so we started weaning slowly from formula and breast to milk at around 12 months. we were done formula and completely on milk by 18months for all three.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• At 12 months started giving him whole milk. He was on soy formula and we were worried about the transition, so we put 2 oz of milk w/6 oz of formula for a couple of days, then 4 & 4, then 6 milk & 2 formula, then all milk. He did fine with it!!! Kept the bottle for milk only though. Otherwise he uses a cup. He's 2 and will give it up own his own. (Ducks for cover...)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It's the opposite actually. Most mothers DON'T know better. There is nothing better about starting whole cow milk sooner. There's not even a need for that milk at all. My nearly 2 year old doesn't drink cow milk.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• jus1jess-I'm sorry, I just assumed the OP was not breast-feeding, because she didn't ask about weaning....

OP-If you are breast-feeding, then it's up to you & your child. If you are formula-feeding, refer to my previous reply.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Breastfeeding or not, there's still no need for cow milk. People say stop formula at a year because we hear that babies need it for at least a year. So when 1 year comes around, everyone just stops. But since they aren't getting formula or the breastmilk that they need, doctors say they need some sort of nutrition and fat. Fats are important to the growing brain. That's why they say whole milk instead of 2%. But since fat is the only real reason for cow milk, it's not needed. You can get healthy fats, calcium, vitamin D, and plenty of other nutrients from tons of other food sources that aren't an animal source and aren't loaded with artificial hormones or chemicals. Just keep a nutritious diet.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2009