Would you allow your 11 yr old daughter to.....

My husband and I aren't seeing eye to eye on a subject dealing with my step daughter. Maybe I'm being too protective, but this is the situation. What do ya think? I found his daughter on youtube.com. She has been posting since she was 10, she is now 11. A lot of the posts are silly girl things, but recently she has posted herself doing dance routines. And they are moves from videos, so they are provocative. I don't think she should be on there period!!! Unless, at the very least, the videos are first reviewed by a parent. Anyone and everyone can watch her videos and comment to her, I feel this could be dangerous. Am I being ridiculous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• No way! I think you are being super smart!!! The internet can give you a false sense of security....especially if you are a good person who is generally around other good people. You forget for moments that the world is full of sick sick people....

I would find some internet statistics that show the number of pedophiles on youtube...I am sure they are out there somewhere....scary stuff!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think you are being smart as well, and if an 11 year old is going to be posting videos of herself on YouTube then they should definitely be reviewed by BOTH parents first.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• No I don't think you're being ridiculous. I don't think kids should posted anything at all of themselves on YouTube. I can't think of one good reason for it.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 3:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would block youtube from the computer if thats how you feel. It's your house too and although your not her biological mom you still have a say so if your helping to raise her. If she continues this who knows what else she will try to post. Most cases it's different though, the dad is usually the one that doesn't want to see his daughter prancing around like that. Take control, if your going to be a parent figure I think you should have a say so of what goes on in your house. (If she is doing this stuff at her mom's house try talking to her and see what she feels about the subject.)

Good Luck 2 U!
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You are right. But the fact that she is your stepdaughter is a big thing with me. Does she live with you all the time? Where is her Mom?
    To me this is her Mom and Dads problem. You shoud just tellyour DG how you feel about it and leave it alone.

Answer by louise2 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• meant DH

Answer by louise2 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• *post. Not posted.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 3:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i think u should be concern but dont worry about it and just keep checking on her and act like u trust her and then she will be more open with u and guys willhave a better relationship trust me i know im 16 and pregnant with a boy due dec.19th and my step mom was like the 1st person after my fiance to know im pregnant becuz she trusted me and gave me freedom(just be careful with the amount of freedom and watch her my parents didnt watch or take to big of an intrest in my life but so far this seems harmless
    16yearoldmom92

Answer by 16yearoldmom92 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• colesmommy what a good idea!!! My husband youtubed our dog with my and my kids and I made him remove it. Tell your husband he's not a woman so he's not as knowledgeable about women's issues as you are and that somethings he's just not smart in.

Or just go online in her account and delete. Isn't there an age limit for youtube? Tell administration that she's underage and it has to be deleted and shut down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• "I would block youtube from the computer if thats how you feel. It's your house too and although your not her biological mom you still have a say so if your helping to raise her. If she continues this who knows what else she will try to post. Most cases it's different though, the dad is usually the one that doesn't want to see his daughter prancing around like that. Take control, if your going to be a parent figure I think you should have a say so of what goes on in your house. (If she is doing this stuff at her mom's house try talking to her and see what she feels about the subject.)"

I totally agree with this answer. It's exactly how I feel too. My DF has a daughter who was doing the same thing on Youtube and her bio mom didn't even know what the hell was being posted for the whole world to see. She's the same age (11 YO) and going around telling the world she's 15. Not cool. Kids that age shouldn't be on the internet.
    geminigirl18

Answer by geminigirl18 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2009