Toddler won't nap even though she's tired! What to do??

My 14 month old takes a nap at 9:45am and 2:45pm (both approximately 1.5 hours each). She will sleep at 9:45am, but lately, she has been staying awake during the 2:45pm nap. I KNOW darn well that she's tired. But, she will stay awake in her crib, chatting to herself, walking in circles, etc. I hesitate to drop her down to one nap. Any advice? She's an absolute PILL in the afternoons when she doesn't nap!

(She goes to bed by 7:30pm and is up by 7:30am)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• What does she do in between the naps? You could perhaps take a short walk or go to the park. Do some kind of play activity to expend energy. Make sure no toys are in the crib. Try to close out light from the room and play some soft music.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Play a kid's movie, Bambi is nice, has plenty of music. Pop a bowl or bag of popcorn, with some water to drink. mommy will relax on the couch with toddler. Before the movie is over, your toddler could be sleeping. If she does fall asleep, leave her right there, moving her to her bed might wake her up. You got lucky, be grateful, let the movie finish while you read a magazine or book.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 5:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Try shortening the morning nap.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Push the second nap back about thirty minutes. Get blackout curtains and put on a soothing playlist of lullabies on your Ipod in her room. Lie her down, rub her back for about 10 minutes then tell her you will be back when she is asleep. This is what I did with my baby and it worked out well for all of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Great Ideas!!!!
    RightMaid

Answer by RightMaid at 6:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would put her to bed earlier than 2:45. Usually if they're tired and won't sleep, it's because they're OVER tired, meaning that they should have been asleep already. Good luck.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 7:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'd get rid of the morning nap and bump the afternoon one to 1 or 2 pm.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I second hypermamaz
    stop the morning nap and go for a longer nap right after lunch.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• that's exactly what I was going to say, she sounds ready for one nap in the middle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009