Pagans with a patron God/matron Goddess, how did you choose? (And a couple of other questions.)

I've been researching deities for at least 6 months, and I'm still not sure about which Goddess is for me. I kind of worry because I'm drawn to Cerridwen and Hecate, and I've been told that they aren't the best to work with regularly. And I'm totally lost on a God. I get so caught up in pantheons sometimes, because I don't feel comfortable really mixing pantheons at the same time. I've always been drawn more to Egyptian and Celtic, but now I'm not sure! Anyway, how did you "pick" yours? What are your thoughts about working with Goddesses like Hecate and Cerridwen? Any advice, please?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont know who told you its not okay to work with hecate but I would have to say they are wrong (and I am sure there are many in this boat with me.) The thing about hecate and cerriwiden is that they require respect and dedication. Its part of the lesson they teach. Its also not for everyone but if thats what you are drawn to then maybe they hold the lessons you personally need to learn. People tend to be frightened of darker dieties, but you must remember that as a pagan you worship the balance. And dark is not necessarily bad. We learn in our studies that dark is the death the unknown, but it is still part of the cycle and we learn from it. My dieties are darker, but I am not evil. (Actually my goddesses ARE hecate, and kali ma). The reputations these dieties have sometimes scare ppl. Hecate the fearsome goddess of death is also a passionate defender. She is a serious teacher and demands devotion.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Choose who you feel most drawn to. The occasion is also important. You wouldn't want to call upon a goddess known for fertility if you trying to avoid getting pregnant. Personally I find the more you call upon a god/dess the closer the relationship with that deity.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You're drawn to whomever you are drawn to! It really doesn't matter. Mine are Pele and Herne.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• She found me. I mainly did general like Blessed Lord and Lady. But for the past year(or close to it)Ive had all these pullings toward the Hindu pantheon and Lakshmi in particular. I swear, everytime I turned around there was something about her in my face LOL.

My areas of interest have ALWAYS(all my life)been the Greek and Egyptian pantheons. I assumed Id find my matron diety among them and I tried a couple out but they just never felt right. So I stopped worrying about it and eventually I saw what had been smacking me in the face for a while.

I dont have a patron diety but I feel I should honor Lakshmi's mate in that way as well. Im not completely drawn to him like I was her but it just makes sense to me and feels right. No other God seems to call to me.

And, honestly, if you never feel drawn or called to one or another...thats ok too.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Meditation sometimes helps. If you don't have any one that you feel drawn to, don't worry. You don't have to have one. I don't. And if at some point your patron/matron is no longger right for you, you can change. So don't feel like it's a life time commitment, like if you screw up you're stuck... It's not like that.

I would say meditate on it and see who calls you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• But the things she teaches and the things she represents are serious, not meant to be played around with and do require devotion. In choosing a diety be aware of what you are drawn to, but also, realize how much responsibilty you are willing and able to take at this point in your life. Having a relationship with diety is the same as a relationship with anyone else. It requires attention and devotion and each person (each diety) is different and requires different things.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2009