When is the right time to buy a highchair??

My son is 5 and half months old. I just wonder at what month sould we need to buy him a highchair??? I won't start solid for him until next month?? He can only sit up if you hold his hand, but he can't sit buy himself yet????

hungluvphuong

Asked by hungluvphuong at 4:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should buy one now. It will help him learn how to sit up.

Answer by louise2 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Uhm.. How the heck will a high chair help him sit up? My dd sat up at 6 months unassisted. She STILL doesn't have a highchair. lol That said, buy one whenever. No solids until 6 months or later, so just whenever you want it. I really should go get one, DD is 10.5 months!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• No need for one really. You don't need to start solids at 6 months precisely. It's actually better to wait. If your baby can't sit up perfectly on his own, then he's not ready to start anyway. And there's no point in making him sit alone happen faster. I used a booster seat from the beginning. I got a hand me down high chair after DD was a year old, but I already got rid of it cause it was a waste of space. They're also pretty expensive. Just hold out on the solids and let him sit up when he's ready. Then get a booster seat. They're only like $30 and baby can join the family right at the table.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I agree with the booster seat, but if you need the extra chair, you can get a high chair. I had one that both of my children used, and I gave it to a friend when mine were done with it.

I would get a booster seat with a tray or a high chair right now and have your child join you for meals.

As far as starting solids, I think 6 months is just about the right time. I wouldn't delay starting solids too much, as there are also disadvantages to waiting too long.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I had one for my kids at birth. A reclining one. Not so I could force solids on them early, but so they could sit at the dinner table with the rest of the family at dinner-time and so it wasn't necessary for me tol hold them while trying to eat. They liked being able to socalize with the rest of the fam, and I liked being able to eat without holding a squirming baby. With my last baby I started solids at 8 mos adjusted age (11.5 mos actual age), so I did not start solids early. The general rule of thumb is that a baby is supposed to be able to sit well UN-assisted before they start solids, because before then they are probably not developmentally ready, and eating will not be as successful as it can be and will become a source of stress for mom and baby, not a plesant experience. My baby started sitting at 8 mos actual age, we waited, and now she is my best eater (I think I started solids a little too early with the older kids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I had a handmedown from when I was a baby, but when they were able to sit up (withhelp) and support their own heads. I put them in the high chair for every meal.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I bought mine while I was pregnant. It's one of those high chairs that attaches to a dining table chair and it has three recline options plus the back comes off and turns into a booster for toddlers. I like it, but it's too hard for my four month old. It's cute, he tries to sit up by himself so I put the back more upright and now he slumps to the side.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My DD couldn't sit up until she was about 8 mths....but that's because she's delayed. I think that in your situation now would be a good time to buy one. One thing you can do is put rolled towels on either side of him and that will help him remain upright and develope his trunk muscles. Good luck!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2009