More of a rant than a question....what is our society turning our young women into?!

I am reading a book called "Wasted" by Marya Hornbacher...a memoir about being bulimic and anorexic. I decided to go on YouTube to see if I could find some interviews with her and stuff, and of course came across other videos about eating disorders......it sickens me how many young women post "thinspiration" videos....pictures of SUPER skinny women to motivate them to be anorexic!...young women posting comments looking for other girls who want to be "anorexia buddies" and "diet" together. What is happening to our society? We've made it so young ladies feel like if they weigh more than a hundred pounds there is something wrong with them! It just disgusts me so much to see this...and makes me so sad, and so angry at our society and the way people have objectified women!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• it's all sex and skinny thin slender women who are adored in commercials and shows on tv and in print, movies too. All of the great movies have thin thin women in them, hardly any stars are in any way over weight.

so long as that crap goes on, it always will, our daughters feel the need to be pencil thin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I totally agree with you! When we should be teaching these young women that they need to be intelligent. Brains are beauty! It's really sad, and you are correct. This is why if you have a daughter, you need to be instilling this into her now. No beauty pageants. That sickens me and angers me so much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I do have a daughter....she's only fourteen months old....and it just scares so much to think of what our young girls will be looking up to by the time she is a pre-teen. I hope I am able to instill in her self confidence and intelligence and self esteem that doesn't rely always on what she is seeing around her! -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I definitely agree that there is a huge problem with eating disorders in our country and they should be taken very seriously. People who have anorexia and bullemia need help and treatment for their disease, along with counseling and support from family and friends.

However, America also has an overeating problem and people who are thin and healthy sometimes get carelessly lumped in with the eating disorder crowd. I think it's a good think to want to be thin and fit but there certainly is a line between thin and overboard. Just because someone is a "pencil" does not qualify them as anorexic nor does that automatically mean they endorse eating problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Hi anon403 i agree with most of your last sentence. Thin does not mean an eating disorder exists. But absolutely thin is glorified everywhere and anyone else doesn't exist, not worthy. What movies have size 18 Women's actresses or more who are routinely role models for young ladies? None.

Size and intelliect, selfrespect and respect given needs to be taught in schools. Clearing lunchrooms of 'fatty' foods doesn't help self image and bullying of self image. Clearing it and roll playing every day is what helps.

Look at Courtney Cox's newest show, Cougar. Her Dirty Money wasn't any better. Soaps are horrible for girls and young ladies self image.

I'm shocked at the Toddlers and Tiaras show. What a mess that world is.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'm not talking about thin....I'm talking about skeletal. Thin and healthy....great! I'd love to lose a little weight and be more in shape.....but I'm talking about young women who are idolizing eating disorders as a way of looking "acceptable"!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• hollywood is to blame think about it,who do teens look up to?? if its a natural thin like my sisters its ok but making it is not
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Hmm... I could go either way on Hollywood idolizing thin women. While that is their choice to do so, I don't necessarily think they try to portray anorexic as sexy... that's more of the runway model type stuff, in my opinion.

As for the soaps and such... I don't think that's acceptable programming for young girls or teens. As parents we should be monitoring what our kids are watching anyway. As for the anorexic women having pictures of their ideal anorexic weight... well that is part of the disease and it is truly sad.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think eating disorders are about more than just "feeling fat" and wanting to lose weight...I think it's a control issue.

The people I know/knew who had eating disorders, had other problems in their lives and felt that things were out of control (parents, grades, etc.), and eating was something they could control...controlling their body gave them some say in the world...
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2009