Do you think it's wrong to take the food?

My church has started a commodities program where they give away food about once a month. The church says it's open to everyone in the community, and there are no income guidelines. Since this economy has killed my DH's business, I've been getting food from the program and it really helps. My friend found out and said it was wrong to take the food since we aren't starving and can afford to buy food. I can buy food, but only with my credit card because we currently only make enough to cover the house payment and utilities. She says it's still wrong.

What do you think? The church says there are no income limits and it's open to everyone in the community. I think that includes my family. She says it's only for poor people, and we aren't poor. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Take the food in the spirit in which it is offered. You would have to ask for a lot more help if your credit card debts ran up so high that you had to declare bankruptcy and lost your house and car and everything. Neither God nor the church wants to see that happen to you and your family. Remember pride is a sin too. As for your friend she sounds very judgemental to me.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Well you arent breaking any rules but if it were me i'd not take any and leave it for others who are in much worse shape.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Hmmm....I'm not sure. I mean...using a credit card is only using money that you don't technically have. I'd say it's fine. You obviously don't have any money specifically for food. After all, I'm assuming you're a member of the church, and there is nothing wrong with taking a little help sometimes. I'd just make sure to donate and give back once you're finally better financially.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• you're looking out for your family, same as everyone else.

the "truly really poor" people are probably considering it extras, a little special help just like you. they have income of some sort. food stamps, PA, unemployment, whatever. No one has NOTHING coming in (and if they do, thats a lack of seeking services on their part)

dont feel bad, dont be ashamed. u wouldnt be in line there if u didnt feel u needed it
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• OP here. I guess I should also include that our current income falls close to poverty level, but we own our own home, and don't appear poor from the outside. Normally our income is much higher. We are trying to keep things together so we don't lose our business, but our credit card balance is getting scary high. I don't want to tell my friend how bad things have gotten; I feel that is private.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'd like to add...a person who judges you and makes you feel bad for something like that isn't that great of a friend in the first place.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Ok OP with that added info id say you are fine with accepting the food.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• and im glad to see it is through a church
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You know your business better than anyone else so if this is something you feel that you NEED then take it, that's what it's there for!

I like the idea of giving back once you're able to. That should make you feel better in the meantime, knowing that you will give back when you are able.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would say that you are doing what is best for your family. Like a previous poster said, you obviously don't have money for food if you are having to "borrow" money to buy it with. Having a credit card is not the same as having the money. I think many people have forgotten that. Give back when you are in better shape, but for right now consider it the Lord's way of helping you when you need it. God bless.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 6:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009