Breastfeeding question

Can a woman that breastfed 11 years ago become engorged with milk today after holding a newborn just a few seconds?

aimige

Asked by aimige at 5:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Health

• I know that having breastfed in the past makes relactation much easier and that baby thoughts can trigger let down. But Something so small for such a short time isn't enough to induce serious lactation. Are you talking about YOUR newborn? Cause if so, once that placenta passes, the colostrum/milk start coming more heavily than pregnancy.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• actually my Aunt that had her last baby 11 years ago says is if she was to hold or be in the room with a newborn she will produce milk and actually have to change her shirt because she will become soaked through.
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 6:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• producing enough to start breastfeeding a baby herself
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 6:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Doesn't sound common. But that could just be because of the small number of breastfeeders in the first place. But it makes sense if she never totally stopped making milk for it to still let down when babies are nearby. It's a maternal thing. Some women let down just from hearing another baby cry. Everyone's body is different. Tell her she should donate =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't think so... I'd like to see it though.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I read a post once where a woman said that she hadn't bf'd in years (cant remember exactly how many but several) and she heard a newborn crying in a store and actually soaked through her shirt.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

ma2b08

ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

ma2b08