At what age do you remove bumpers?

My son is nine monthsold and currently sleeps in a playpen because his legs get stuck ot between the bars and I saw some breathable new crib bumpers I was thinking of trying so we can put him in his crib in the same room with his 20 month old brother any advice

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we never had traditional ones, we only ever used the mesh type ones and we kept 'em til they went into toddler beds so they wouldnt get their fat little legs stuck!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It's suggested to remove the bumpers when your child is able to stand in the crib - while holding on to the railings. it can be used as a "stepstool" - which proved true with my son. Plus, he pulled off all the ties, and was whipping it around his head - that's when we took the bumpers off.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My friends baby used his to climb out of his crib last week. She was freaking out. She said I wonder if I should take the bumpers out. I was like omg...you know that how he got out, right? You are supposed to take them out when they can sit up/by 6 mo.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 6:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 7:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Ill keep them on but keep an eye on her. shes 6 months now, and I have the matress as far down as it goes and the side railing as high up as it goes. she cannot get out of that thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• ate nine months hes pretty much out of the sids risk stage we use bumpers with our 11 month old (we started at 9 months because of a similair issue) doesnt seem to be much of an issue i think its a bigger deal when the cant roll out of a dangerous position your baby should be fine now
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• when they started untying the strings and throwing them out of the crib (my girls were quite inventive for entertainment)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We never removed the bumpers until they went into a regular bed at 15 months.

I tried mesh ones with my oldest, and he was able to pull them off (they're held on with velcro) and I found him with them around his neck so I threw them in the garbage.

With my youngest, I tried the kind that basically cover the entire crib. However, they don't work for every crib (they don't fit) and mine was one they didn't fit. So they went into the garbage, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I know they say to remove them,but,I never did, to me I just always felted safer with the bumper especially if you have a wild sleeper. Just,like everything,you really have to know and judge your child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009