How do i put my fussy child in his carseat?

When it is time to put Tyler in his carseat either going somewhere or leaving where we went he throws a complete fit! Screaming, hitting, biting, and straightening himself all the way out so i cant strap him in. i dont know why this started but i sure am hoping this is just a phase!! Any help would be greatly apprieciated!
Thanks in advance!

EricaHutchinson

Asked by EricaHutchinson at 5:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he is 14mos?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• bring it into the house and make it fun. have him eat a (YUMMY/FAVORITE) snack in it, watch a video in it, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• and obviously make sure his harness is cozy, no friction or rubbing, crotch pulling. get some SPECIAL books & toys and non messy snacks just the the car rides. and try and leave for outings when you know he's hungry and maybe thirsty. he can carry his cheerios or crackers or whaterver to the car. we had some brief shopping cart and stroller issues w/ our kids and skipping snack so they'd eat and be compliant helped tons. He will then associate the car seat as pleasant and enjoyable.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my litte one is like that,ill say look what dads got,or give her something so i can strap her in
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My daughter did that a few times and I distracted her with something and used a stern voice to inform her that it is not an option she absolutely must be in car seat. It sounds mean but there are some things that children need to understand aren't even up for "discussion" or fight. After doing the same thing consistently a few times she stopped fighting. And now anytime I say no it is not an option she doesn't even ask anymore because I am not going to change my mind.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• If he's still rear facing, make sure it's not reclined too much. Mine fought it around that time, and the first person we talked to said to turn her around (uh, no, I don't' give in to fits). We talked to a good technician who said this is a common occurrence, and to tilt it up more. Sure enough, she was happier! No more fits.

We also let her climb in by herself. Plan to leave fifteen minutes earlier for a while...
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Well the few times my baby is cranky when I put her in her seat we play games as I get her in or I give her a snack.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2009