hemmorhoids

do u have to do somethin about them? i have had one since i was like 12 weeks pregnant and everytime i use the bathroom (#2) it hurts really bad and bleeds. i use prep. h.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• PAT yourself dry with a wet soft cloth (you can use soft toilet paper, but really cloth feels the best). Don't rub! You can use a squirt bottle (or peri bottle) if you don't feel clean enough, then pat again. Do NOT let soap get to your anus during a shower -- soap is very irritating.

Cool compresses will help shrink the hemmoroid as will sitting on a donut pillow (it takes pressure off the rectum when you sit).

Avoid spicy and acidic foods temporarily (definitely no caffeine!), they tend to irritate and already irritated colon.

Get a small stool or box and put it in the bathroom, when you want to "go" put your feet up on it to raise your knees, that will put you into a much more natural squatting position and will help you have a BM without as much strain.

An epsom salt bath is also very soothing.

FYI....I like Thayer's Witch Hazel -- alcohol free. All preparation H is is witch hazel + water + additives
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Have you mentioned this to your doctor? I'm going to assume they've seen it - with the exams they do and whatnot - and if they're not showing concern... then you shouldn't be. If it's proving to be a constant discomfort - I would definitely explain this to your doctor and see what other alternatives are available to you.
    It is normal to experience hemorrhoids during pregnancy.
    Good luck.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I haven't had hemmoroids this pregnancy, however, I've had two bouts of anal itching (maddening!) that signaled to me that a hemmoroid would form if I didn't take action. Be SURE you are getting plenty of fiber and water in your diet. If you are taking prenatals with iron or iron supplements -- I would stop because they are TERRIBLY constipating. You can switch to a children's chewable withOUT iron, and for iron take liquid chlorophyl or Floradix (both excellent food based supplements that do not constipate. The chlorophyll actually softens stools). Wear cotton underwear or let the area air out-- air circulation is VERY good. Check your preparation H -- if it contains alcohol I would ditch it for witch hazel (make sure it doesn't have alcohol!) and dilute it with water and dab on with a cotton ball, then apply pure aloe vera juice (gel is okay, juice is better). After a bowel movement --> MORE
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2009