SAHM vs Working

All right I have a dilemma. I am lucky enough to have the choice to choose if I want to work or not. I have two gorgeous girls and I am a SHAM. My oldest is starting a full time preschool. I found a job listing for a job that sounds perfect for me and 9 months ago I would have jumped at it. But now I have found my SAHM grove and I am happy. The money would be nice, but in a year we could anyway, hubby is Air Force and gets a promotion then. Also I am going to be applying for Graduate school this Feb. and would be quieting any job at that point, unless they wanted an intern.
So I ask you all, would you take the job or stay home one more year? I am really struggeling with this, both have really good draws. No, I have not been offered it, but I am perfectly qualified and don't think I could turn down a job offer, so I need to know before I possibly apply. Thanks for the impute.

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 6:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• stay at home i work and its hard on me to be away from my daughter if you dont need to work i would stay at home, when there both in school and you know you want the job long term then go out and get a job, good luck
    truannmil

Answer by truannmil at 9:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would stay at home. Especially if it is only for one more year. Cherish that time. Good luck.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 6:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I LOVE staying home with my kids. Time flies, stay home. Have you ever thought about working from home? I recently started working from home to make some extra money and I must say I really enjoy doing what I do. We help people create income from home. I work with a great team of Moms. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID… NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.
    I'd love to tell more information about our team and introduce you to the team if you're interested!
    Erika
    Visit me at:
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't think you were even be checking the job listings if you didn't really want a job.

However, is it really fair to an employer to hire you now, train you, & come to rely on you jsut to have you turn around a quit in a few months?

Your younger child (I'm assuming) would have to go into daycare.... would you make any money after paying for that?

Personally, I'd stay at home... but then again, I have no desire what-so-ever of going back to work or putting my kids in daycare.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You can't get that year with your babies back and you're more likely to regret working it and leaving them with a sitter than you would be to regret going to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Sounds like you enjoy working and there is nothing wrong with that. If you could use the money and the job is something you would like I say go for it. You won't be losing a year with your kids you will be there everyday after work with them and loving them. Think about what you really want to do. Go with your gut and do what is right for you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I believe that kids need mom around much more between 12 and 18, than when they are younger.

Here are addional thoughts on this topic from HR Guru Liz Ryan:

Taking time off work to be with kids (or for other personal reasons) is a huge decision, as you have already noted, because of the uncertainty associated with 'jumping back in.' There are so many relevant factors (your profession, your location, and the length of time you expect to be out, e.g.) that it's hard to give a blanket assurance that your re-entry will be smooth or easy. If you're committed to the personal benefits associated with jumping off the treadmill for a period of time, that's a huge piece of the equation. "The Feminine Mistake" and other books have noted the financial risks associated with leaving the paid workforce for a long period.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I don't mention those risks to be negative, but because they are real; in my work, I see some returning workers sail back into fantastic and highly-compensated roles, and others struggle to return at a reasonable level of pay and responsibility.

It matters a lot how you spend your time while you're away. If you keep a hand in the action via a volunteer role, a bit of consulting, or a part-time job, you're in a better spot re-entry-wise than if you take your professional hat off entirely. Best of luck with your decision ---

• mommytojoeynabbey have copied and pasted the same comment on all working from home posts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009