Has LOL turned from Laughing Out Loud to I'm Trying to Be Funny

You know, since people cant really detect tone online has the phrase LOL, which is suppose to mean Laughing Out Loud (much like in response to someone else's comment), turned into I'm trying to be funny by saying this, so its suppose to be identified as a humorous comment.

lol, Does that make sense?

(^^ see, perfect example!)

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I thought it meant...."I can't think of anything else to say" LOL (but that WAS me trying to be funny).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I usually use LOL when I laugh about something even if Im the one writing it lol
    Like that :)
    Even if noone else thought what I said was funny I still laughed :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• lol yea i totally understand what youre saying lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i use it if what im saying or what the other person is saying is funny.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I use it even when I am the one that is commenting. Its to help identify my tone since you can't tell how people are talking/typing on the internet.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 7:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Totally, I think it shows appreciation for what the other person is saying, and it can be used to indicate humor in your own response. LOL! LMAO! HAHAHA!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• In general, it is used to indicate that either you found the other person's statement humorous, or to indicate that what you are saying is to be taken in a lighthearted manner since the reader doesn't have the benefit of seeing your facial expression or hearing your tone of voice or inflection. I do think that it has started to be used more often to indicate your own state of mind when saying something than to "laugh" at someone else's statement.
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 9:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2009