Wouldn't a true Christian be making an effort to "Go Green?"

Isn't it apart of the duty of a good Christian to keep what God gave us beutiful? Shouldn't are disregaurd for the Earth be considered a sin?

Darlinree

Asked by Darlinree at 6:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• First lets understand what a true Christian is. A true Christian is simply those who believe in Jesus Christ and have accepted Him as savior. The fruit of your life, the good that you do and the person that you are are only evidences of that relationship.

Second, I think many Christians see this as a "liberal" vs. "conservative" issue. Because the global warming issue came from the evironmental movement which tends to be liberal. So is this a correct view, probably not. I'm in California so we tend to be a bit more liberal. I see most Christians keeping it in balance.

So I will say that a proper perspective has little to do with religion. We cannot be so conserned with the environment that we worship it over the needs of people. On the other hand "using" your environment isn't the same as abusing it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't think not going green is the mark of a fake Christian, but I do know many Christians, Churches and organizations are focusing on the environment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Tri Robinson pastors Vineyard Boise Church in Boise, Idaho, a growing fellowship of more than 3,000 members. He also hunts, fishes, and maintains a ranch outside of town. He voted for George W. Bush—twice—and is a creationist, pro-life, and against same-sex marriage. But this "Red State" evangelical Christian isn't just red—he's also green.

Reconciling the two, however, has taken Robinson years. Before he was a Christian, caring for the environment came naturally. A science teacher for 10 years, he and his wife, Nancy, spent the first 14 years of their marriage without electricity in an older home on the family ranch in California. They grew some of their own food and truly appreciated the value of nature.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2007/mayjun/1.46.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• True Christians know the earth is going to be destroyed anyway.
    Anonymous

• As a Christian I personally don't see that everyone will go green no matter what they believe in. I do however recycle and I am buying reusable bags. The five min. shower thing is a different story!!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 6:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• So the earth will be destroyed, so we can all treat it like a garbage can? What kind of attitude is that?!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thank you Anon 637 and 639 fist.

Anon 639 second....True Christians know the earth is going to be destroyed anyway. Just b/c the world will be destroyed...Does that mean we shouldn't take care of it as best we can?
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 6:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i think a REAL christian should be more worried about not drinking,doing drugs getting tattoos and having sex out of marriege more than going green,when i look at a christian i dont jugde how they eat,cook or recycle i look at what they as a person what they do when they are not in church,how they speak.I myself like the whole idea of going green but as far as christians go i dont think it has anything to do with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• mommavan..I know it isn't easy. I can't let go of my non-eco friendly hair soap. It's vainity..pure and simple. I am trying to be more respectful of the Earth but it seems the harder I try the more I mess up. BUT..I do feel it's better to make and effort than non at all.
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 6:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It is one thing for Christians to be good stewards of what God has given to us, but, I think it has all gone way to the extreme. God gave us a world of resources to USE, not to place the importance & protection of these resources above our own. It has come to the point where the environmentalists are all but worshiping the trees and other resources instead of just being moderately wise about their consumption. There is a difference in the two.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2009