old quote.. SEEN NOT HEARD

do you think that is still a good quote in theory? should still be practiced ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe that it mainly meant in adult company that the children should remain politely quiet without interrupting the adult conversation. I know my granddaughter has the habit of speaking whenever she wishes even though it interrupts what the adults are saying, and her parents sometimes scold and sometimes interrupt the conversation to let her speak. It would be more polite if she'd learn to wait until a pause in conversation.

Answer by Bmat at 7:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i used that quote once and my dh just thought that i was so mean and rude for saying it. but yes i agree with bmat
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 7:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• in certain situations - children should definitely be seen and NOT heard. church, weddings, movies, restaurants, etc.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I do agree with it to a point, when adults are talking my DD will try to butt in and I tell her, "shhh the adults are talking right now" and continue on with what I or the other person was saying. I agree with hyper except for at a restaurant, children do need to learn when it is appropriate to speak and when not too..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• While I do agree that it is rude for children to interupt adult conversation, I think that is one of the ugliest things you could ever say to a child. REASON I KNOW? Because my stepmother used to say that crap to me from the time I was 8 til I moved out at 13. It made me feel like nothing I ever said was important and that my opinion absolutly didnt matter. Yes my son is a chatterbox, but if I need him to be quiet I simply say: could you please be quiet? IMHO If your having a conversation and dont want the child in it then you should have it away from the child.

I guess Im one of those fruity "Children Matter" moms
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• same rules for kids as adults: no interrupting, no speaking in a theater. my kids have every right to hold a conversation at a reasonable volume in a restaurant.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• yes and we practice it... there is nothing i hate more than talking and being inturpeted by a child... it got so bad with my SD that i refused to let her in the same room as me....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't believe that. I believe that a child should wait until the adults are done speaking. when my stepdaughter interrupts I tell her wait until we are done talking please. her dad will just stop and interrupt the conversation to let her talk which is really annoying. I mean she is five years old she needs to start learning to wait her turn to talk. as it is right now if you don't answer her right away she will just sit there and call your name louder and louder until you finally address her. That is what will piss me off quicker than anything.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 9:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• The old quote is "Children should be seen and not heard" and while I believe there are instances when children need to allow the adults to discuss what they need to discuss, these are rare. For example, when adults are discussing legal or medical matters. Now this isn't to say that children need to be the center of attention. They must learn mannors and give and take in conversation like we all do.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I do NOT believe in that saying. Children have every right to be heard, they have a lot to say and should be listened to. How do you like to be told not to talk unless someone talks to you first? I have never believed in children should be seen and not heard. That is just wrong. Children do need to learn to wait until someone is done talking or if it is important to politely say excuse me for a moment, say what needs to be said and say thank you and sorry for interrupting.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009