Unlike Doctors Are Nurses the only ones who really save lives?

If you've seen Nurse Jackie or the new series Mercy. Both series depict nurses as the ones who "own" the hospital and the ones who really care about patients. Also the series want to send a message "without nurses Doctors can't not perform and for what it's worse Doctors could "kill" the patients if nurses wouldn't intervene...and so on

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm an Nicu Rn. I will tell you that in our unit we work as a team with nurses spending the most time caring for the pt. A good nurse can alert a doctor to the subtle changes that indicate a pt is more than likely decompensating. We are the OTC eyes and ears for the doctors. The doctors write the orders but will generally ask the nurse his/her opinion before doing so-

Often times, especially in terms of discharge orders and planning, the docs will lean heavily on nursings' decisions. The doctors do no actual pt treatments or parent teaching, so they rely on nurses to tell them if the baby and family is ready for discharge.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• not all doctors are bad our pediatrician is absolutely phenominal our son had a lot of issues when he was born and she treated him as a person as well as us as a family she spent many many many hours with us both in her office after hours and at his bed side during his hospitilazation nurses are absolutely amazing people but there are certainly doctors out there who deserve credit and the same wya that there are dumb doctors there are dumb nurses adn ive found ive actually met A LOT more dumb nurses than doctors you cant believe everything you see on tv
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• it takes all people in the medical field to keep someone alive.. from the dr to the surgeon to the phlebotomist to the techs.... thats just a tv show..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• anonymous makes a very good point, I was a janitor at a hospital and even my small position effected the health of the patients if I left something as small as a pen in a room where a patient had contracted MRSA I ran teh risk of infecting another patient. Something as simple as not wiping the phone could have a devastating effect Drs arent god but neither are nurses its about the team
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think that the shows on TV depict nursing in the complete wrong light. Nurses are a major part of the healthcare team and physicians rely on them a lot, however, there is a large team in the hospital that provides care and saves lives. As a nurse I have been in life saving situations and it is certainly not just me.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I always thought that ppl should reconize the ambulance drivers more b/c really they go to the sceen and "save lifes" so ppl can be taken to the doctors for attention but yes nurses are also very important to the health care system
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 7:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It IS a TV show. They write what they want to write. I wouldn't take it as truth, only a TV show. I'm sure that both Doctors and Nurses save lives.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Bless you Sisteract for what you do.

Once upon a time I wanted to be a Neonatologist. After my first baby was stillborn, I couldn't handle it and I quit med school. I did eventually find my true calling, photography, and I am very happy.

But I just wanted to point out that it takes a strong person to do what you do. Thank you and everyone like you.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I agree it takes a team in the hospital to save a patient. Everyone has their own job and there is a system of checks and balances that all hospital staff members use on each other. They use this system because they realize that no one is infallible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thank you Calvary- I love working in the Nicu. It's a very rewarding job :}
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2009