Why does my 13 month old keep biting his wrist??

I can't understand why he keeps biting himself...I mean you would think it would hurt right?? He doesn't really do it out of anger, he just does it whenever, and he keeps doing it. Is there anyway to stop it??

iluvPrestonG

Asked by iluvPrestonG at 7:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know it sounds crazy, but ignore it. It could be that after he discovered he can get a rise out of you by doing it...he's continued to do it....it's like a toddler's own little way of controlling mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Like anon said, just ignore it. My son was bad about doing stuff like that but the more I ignored it the less he did until he finally just quit.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I know several kids who do this and it was unusual to me, too, but given the circumstances, it seems like a comforting thing. Sorta like thumb-sucking used to be.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It's also common with teething.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Did you try to talk to his doctor about this? He may be able to help with this on a more professional maner. I was thinking about puting something sour on his wrists that doesn't taste good. It might be the trick. If that dosen't work call his pediatrision for an appointment.
    Bernie65

Answer by Bernie65 at 3:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• To the PP, if it's a coping mechanism, there's no reason for him to have it taken away. If it's not harmful to him, then he should be allowed to do it. He'll outgrow it in his own time. IF he were starting to hurt himself, that would be an indicator of severe stress in his life & there's a whole other game plan for that.
    If it's teething, and it could be, talk to his dr. about giving him Tylenol or Motrin for the pain. That could relieve much of the stress, and be an indicator of when he needs more (if it's time for more). Our little boy doens't say "Ow", or "I hurt" or anything still and he's over 2 y/o, but I can see the signs of when he is in pain. It's good that you, OP are being observant of your child.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2009