Adnoids

My son had tubes put in a day before his 2nd B day. That helped him with his speech a lot. They xrayed his adenoid and they were fine. Well now at 3.5 he doesn't talk as good as he should. He mumbles a lot and you cant understand what he is saying half the time. He also snores a bit. He has very bad asthma too. Now he has an appt with his ent on monday to check on his tubes. Should i ask him about getting his adenoid out for speech and i heard it might help with his asthma even though they aren't large. Do you think they will take them out? Did this help anyone else kid.

irishluck112211

Asked by irishluck112211 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• When my grand daughter had her first set of tubes put in they took her tonsils and adnoids at the same time. Tubes are obvious why, tonsild because she had a sleep study and turned out she had sleep apnea. He adnoids were overlarge. Removing her tonsils cured her apnea but also improved her speech. Hers were enormous and they realized the tonsils were preventing the back of the tongue from moving properly. I doubt they will remove healthy adnoids though.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would ask about the general sturcture of my child's pallet, mouth, throat....is there anything that would impede the production of good speech. And if so, my next thought would be why your ENT didn't discuss that with you before now. If not, it could be delay of speech or a true speech disorder unrelated to any other medical issue.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Removing the adenoids will not help with asthma. My son had his adenoids and tonsils removed and it helped his breathing at night and helped him eat...his tonsils were huge. I would have both checked along with his hearing. If he isn't hearing properly, he will have trouble speaking because he isn't hearing the spoken word correctly. I have no idea if the doctor will remove them, the only reason my sons were removed was because he would stop breathing when he was sleeping (that was the "snoring"). Wait to see what the ENT says.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I had my adenoids taken out, but that was because my ENT thought it was a contributor to my chronic ear infections (I also had 3 sets of tubes). I don't know that it actually was the problem, but I haven't had any issues since, and I had my last set of tubes about 13 years ago.

Have you considered taking your son to a speech therapist? Or maybe he's had some permanent hearing loss that's effecting his speech?

At any rate, it's a good idea to discuss this with the Doc.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My oldest son had tubes in his ears when he was about 4years old. He had chronic ear infections before he got the tubes in. He did so much better after that he hasn't needed anything else done to his ears so far and he is 27 now. Your child should be fine after he heals from his surgery.
    Bernie65

Answer by Bernie65 at 2:34 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• He had a hearing test done before his tubes and he was fine. He has also had 5 ear infection since the tubes. He has one right now. His pedi said something about speech and his adnoids to me before. I thought it was no big deal because he had his adenoids xrayed before and he was fine. Now can they grow too big over time?
    irishluck112211

Answer by irishluck112211 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I disagree that adnoids being removed will not help with asthma. My son's adnoids were removed and his ENT and his pulmonologistboth said it would help reduce the asthma symptoms. It did.  It is a conversation to have with your trusted physicians and ENT specialist.  My child's adnoids were inflamed making it difficult to breathe, causing him to get dizzy, and the asthma symptoms to be inflamed as well.  All I know is that everything got better once the tubes were in and the adnoids were out.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My son has chronic respiratory complications and I have never heard of adenoid removal helping with asthma! However, removal of the adenoids is fairly simple but requires additional anesthesia as opposed to just the gas required to put in tubes. I also have never heard of adenoids affecting speech, that sounds odd to me.

Our ENT's here remove adenoids (even if there is nothing wrong with them) when they put in tubes for the second time. They believe that it helps cut down the risk of needing a 3rd set. However... my son is currently on his 5th set of ear tubes and had his adenoids removed with set #2
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009