Sleep Issue

My son is 16 months old and has been sleeping all night in his crib for months now. All of the sudden he is waking up and just screaming and won't stop. Every so often before he would wake up but he would only cry for a couple minutes and be right back asleep. Now is like bloody murder screaming and when i go in and pick him up he hold onto me as tight as he can. I am not sure what I can do for him. I get scared when he screams like that but I don't want to get into the habit of having to comfot or c0-sleep at night. any suggestions??

ashleydawn3830

Asked by ashleydawn3830 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he's having nightmares...when my son would have one I'd pray over him and everything would be fine. Try doing that with your son...it wouldn't hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My daughter went threw that. She had horrible nightmares. At first I couldn't figure out what was going on then she started telling me that she was scared. She would tell me someone was trying to get her. Things like that. We got her a night light (Dora because its her favorite show), We also got her a big Dora shaped pillow so she wasn't sleeping alone. And we did not allow her to watch anything or see anything but kid shows on the tv. We weren't letting her watch horror movies or anything but there were a lot of commercials she saw that scared her. Like the brinks home security ones that someone kicks in the door. We had to let her know it wasn't real and that helped too.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 8:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• put your shirt in there that way he smells you,i know it sounds crazy and ierd,but it works
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• thanks for the suggestions...we have been thinking about mommy separation.
    ashleydawn3830

Answer by ashleydawn3830 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Maybe your son has night mares. That is why he would wake up screaming because he is scared. It might help to let him watch something calm and happy on tv before he goes to bed. If that isn't the problem, it could be that his ears are hurting him. Mine woke in the night with ear infections and sore throats. It is very painful and keeps you awake. Maybe you should take him to the doctor just to make sure it is not a medical problem. Good Luck!
    Bernie65

Answer by Bernie65 at 1:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2009