Are your kids spoiled?

I don't mean in the bad way, necessarily. There is "spoiled", and then there is "spoiled rotten". Are your kids either of these? If so, which? Who spoils them more, you or their dad?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dd is spoiled but not rotten. She has every toy she could possibly want or need and more clothes than she could ever wear. My dh and I both spoil her equally (my dh toys and stuff and I buy the clothes and accessories) because we both know she will be our only. We figure if we are only having one we should give her everything possible.

However, with that I need to add that we are instilling in her a sense of gratitude and appreciation for her things. We go through her stuff every six months and she helps decide what to give to goodwill so that other kids can play with it now. We also sponsor a family every Christmas and this year she is going to help pick out the presents we will give to the family. When she is old enough she will volunteer with me at the local soup kitchen.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• No, ours aren't spoiled. They know not to ask for anything when we go to the store. We don't "give in". It's part of being an active parent. We don't like to be around other peoples spoiled children, We won't let our kids act like that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Out of my 3, I'd say my daughter is, she is 13 and will only shop at Abercrombie and Fitch, Hollister and American Eagle. She also expects to take 9 dance classes including a solo which I don't know if I can afford
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my 14month old is spoild in a way where i let her eat basicaly what she wants,she has tons of toys,but i spank her little butt when she gets in trouble,just hard enought o hurt her feelings,but latly she doesnt care,lol
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My daughter is spoiled if you compare what she gets to what my husband and I got when we were little. Both of our families were kind of poor when we were kids so we got second hand things and new toys twice a year. Once on our birthdays and once at christmas. We didn't get a lot. Both my DH and I have some what spoiled here trying to give her what we didn't have. Every time we visit our parents and siblings they spoil her. That is bad when we come home from that! UGH! But in all I don't think she is as spoiled as most kids I see these days.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 8:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My 14 month old is an only child, so I guess in a way she is "spoiled" by lots of undivided attention from her mommy.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Ajw1980, I think it's important and nice that you teach her at a young age to be grateful. I was spoiled growing up too, but never rotten. I was always taught to do as much as possible for other people, and never to take anything for granted. We also sponsor a family every Christmas, and I've always found that more exciting than the gifts I receive myself. I'm about a month away from giving birth to my first, and I'll admit now, he will be spoiled, lol. However, not spoiled rotten. The second he seems ungrateful, he will receive nothing until he can learn otherwise. He'll be the only grandchild so far, though, and my parents have already gone nuts, haha. He too has more clothes than I think he could possibly wear. He's gonna be better dressed than his parents. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It depends on who you ask. If you ask me, no my child is not spoiled. He attends a private school that is expensive, he has enough toys to where we can rotate them, he has a closet full of clothes that I often donate clothes not even worn after a season. But he is lucky, not spoiled. There are kids with a lot more and kids with a lot less. I do not judge on the material things. He does not act like a "brat" or demand/expect things. He will want for things, even if I can give it and afford to - part of my gift to him is to give him the gift of longing, waiting, and wanting. Even the gift of learning how to deal with disappointment.  I do give hime lots of my time to play creatively, snuggle, and read together.  There are those who think he is spoiled.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• No. My children have a lot of stuff because they take care of it. My children understand that mom and dad do what we can and not to whine about what they get or it will be taken away.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My son is spoiled with my love and attention and that of my parents and my exbf(not his father). He gets a lot of our undivided attention, but he doesn't get a lot of material things. He is also very well mannered, respectful and intelligent. I would not consider him a brat though. He knows what it means when I tell him NO and has since he was a young child (he is now 13 yrs old).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009