Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

With the MIL coming for an extended period of time I am thinking of ...

I am thinking of taking my daughter on an extended vacation. 6 weeks away. He invited her to come he can stay with her. I am going to use inheritence money for this trip not his money. If you have read my other MIL questions you will understand why I feel I need to go away. I have permission from my daughters school to have her out for up to 2 months.

I need his permission to travel outside the U.S. I am thinking of New Zealand. The further the better!

Is this a good idea?


Asked by Noosa at 8:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Relationships

Level 20 (8,483 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • If I had a MIL that I could not live with without WWIII then I would at least go on vacation for part of that time. I would surely sympathize with my spouse that he would be missing out of recreation time with me and our child, but he would have to be understanding that my sanity is worth it. After all, I was understanding too. I am equally allowing MIL to live in OUR home. That's right, its my home too. So he would of course have needed to consult me before the plans were settled. If my husband did not take my thoughts and feelings into consideration, I don't have much of a marriage and I do need to take a trip with my child to mull over where I go from here. I need him to take that time away to contemplate who he is married to, Mom or me. If MIL's issues are not resolved to where she is not in my home upon return, he chose his mother not his partner. Too bad for him and I'm finding a lawyer.

    Answer by frogdawg at 10:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • She is visiting for 6 whole weeks?? I'd go on vacation too. That really sucks.

    Answer by Fallaya at 8:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • how old is your daughter? i'd go somewhere else but that's just me

    Answer by staciandababy at 9:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • My daughter is 7. I guess I need to be clearer...MIL is not just visiting...she will be LIVING here until her problems are resolved.

    Answer by Noosa at 9:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • Sounds like you two do not get along well so yes I would say to avoid further problems that it is a good idea for you and your daughter to go somewhere else. JMO

    Answer by mamasangels2009 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • What does your husband think of the idea? If he is ok with it then I say go for it but he has reservations then I would stay to avoid problems with him.

    Answer by psugal at 9:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • Let me clarify - I wasn't saying ask for permission per se just get his opinion on the matter and see how he feels about not being around you two for so long. I know my husband would be heartbroken if I suggested such a long trip without him.

    Answer by psugal at 9:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • I have suggested this to my husband. He absolutely does not like the idea he does not do well with us apart. I will not do well with MIL in my home. Like I said he invited her without telling me. It was just a done deal before we had finished discussing it.

    Answer by Noosa at 9:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • i would go to hawaii, you're still in the u.s. but you're really far away. it's probably cheaper and easier too.

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • It sounds like he has to decide which one he wants more - his mom at the house or you. This is a sh!tty situation but if truly understands how you feel then I would hope he would ask his mom not to come.

    Answer by psugal at 10:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009