Do more people formula feed than breastfeed?

This is not to start a debate over which is better, I'm curious...

Do more women FF than BF?

i know about 7 people myself included that were pregnant at the same time, and I am the only one that breastfeeds...

Do you think it could possibly be because we are younger? maybe not educated enough on it?

They also say they just didnt want to. I understand not being able to but not trying i mean. so

Do more women FF than BF?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://www.cdc.gov/BREASTFEEDING/DATA/NIS_data/index.htm

Yes, more women formula feed than breast feed. You have to remember that trying to breastfeed once in the hospital counts as breastfeeding according to these studies. So, the 70% figure of women who have EVER breastfed is a bit misleading.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i'd never heard of breastfeeding when i got pregnant. so yeah probably lack of education, good marketing and sex
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My DD didnt latch on correctly so I had to pump & after 4 weeks of that she had a bad allergy to all milk products so I had to switch to Neocate formula. I do however, think that a lot of women try breastfeeding for a few days find out how hard it is (it was hard for me) & give up quickly. I hated breastfeeding & pumping but was willing to continue pumping as long as she could have it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I dunno. At my office (that I know of)

1 made it 2 days, 1 made it 1 month but don't thinks she tried with the second, two had no problems (3 kids amongst them), one nursed for 6 months and I nursed for 6 weeks. So they all tried (except the one lady with her second child).

My friend has nursed with both of her kids but had to give it up when she started work with the first as they were not very accomidating. the second child, her office has a nursing room, but she's not able to pump for as long as she likes, so how long will depend on how well she can maintain her supply.

So I can't say I know a lot of people who breastfeed for long periods, but they did at least give it a shot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i eam from the get go... do you think its from advertisement on formula products? you cant really advertise breastfeeding can you?

do you think people need to get out there more and inform women of benefeits of it? i dont mean try and force people to do it, i think women should have the choice but i think a lot are not educated on it and just go with formula right away.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• All my friends but one breastfed. I think it varies from area to area, group to group. If everyone you know breastfeeds, you are more likely to as well.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I formula feed bc i take certain med that wont allow me to BF
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• In my family/friends there were about 7 of us pregnant around the same times. Ouf of the 7 this is how it turned out... 3 tried breast feeding and 1 was sucessful at it and did it for a year, the other 2 (I was one of the 2) did not have luck and switched to formula. The remaining 4 only formula fed.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yes, more people FF feed, and I think it's for two reason. One is lack of education and the other is that people just don't realise how hard it can be for the first few weeks. Let's face it FF is just easier and when you are already stressed out with a new baby BF'ing just isn't as convientient.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I formula-fed
    MommaToSam

Answer by MommaToSam at 10:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009