What age did you start letting baby sleep on their stomach?

My son has good head control, he can roll from back to stomach but not from stomach to back, so I haven't let him sleep on his stomach yet.

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 9:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt really ALLOW her to lol she just never went to her belly until she could roll over and at that point she slept that way. but

When she could roll over and sit up and hve good head control on her own.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I probably didn't allow my daughter to sleep on her stomach until around 2. But there were plenty of mornings I would find her on her tummy when she began rolling over - both ways.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• As soon as my daughter could roll both ways, I stopped worrying about it. I never laid her on her stomach but if she situated herself that way, I let her be.
    poppys_mommy

Answer by poppys_mommy at 9:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• As soon as she decided she was going to. I wasn't going to strap her down on her back so it was up to her. I never put her down on her stomach but as soon as she could roll over she decided it was the way to go!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 9:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Once my girls started rolling, they slept in whatever position made them comfortable. Until they could move themselves...they were strictly on their backs.
    Princefan6684

Answer by Princefan6684 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• This is a very funny question, I have pictures of my DD in the hospital nursery ,laying on her stomach, 40 years ago, you would have never laid your baby on his back, or side,because the baby might have choked, the new thing of laying babies on his back,to prevent SIDS, and throwing up,just appeared in the last 20 years. Read up on it. When,my grands were born,and all the new books were saying ,you never,never lay a baby on his stomach, I looked at my DD and said,"oh, I guess over half of the babies born-ed shouldn't be here. So, I guess with everything changing,just follow your baby lead,1 day you will look and your baby will completely turn over by himself.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my son is 5 months old and he won't sleep on anything but his stomach, i've tried to put him inbetween the wedges and that doesn't work either there just chucked to the side of the crib in the morning with his butt in the air and this thumb in his mouth that's how he's comfy. my son can hold his head up and roll from side to side and does great on his belly although i never stick him on it he's been doing the belly thing since he was about 4 months.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My son was able to roll from back to belly and back again from the time he was about 6 weeks old, and would always sleep on his belly. I hated it. I'd lay him down on his back, go back to check on him 10 minutes later, and he'd be on his belly. He'd wake up and start screaming bloody murder if I rolled him over, so I started leaving him alone. I didn't allow ANYTHING in the crib, not even a blanket, and just put winter pajamas on him to keep him warm.

My daughter started rolling really good about 6 months or so, but never really liked sleeping on her belly. Even now, at 6, she generally sleeps on her back, sprawled out as far as she can get, taking up as much bed as possible.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• From the time she was about 3 days old. She absolutely would NOT sleep any other way. On her back she would fall asleep, but she would wake up after about 5-10 minutes. After 3 days of no sleep, I tried letting her sleep on her belly and she slept ALL night long! It was amazing. When she was about 2 wks old, I laid her down one night, she had flipped herself from front to back, and a few minutes later from back to front. So I never worried about it.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2009