Traveling soon with 14 month old and I'm FREAKING OUT!!! Help?

I am traveling from ny to ca in a week and a half, and I'm starting to feel nervous and agitated. I will be traveling alone with my 14 month old daughter, who has never been on a plane before. I'm afraid that she will not want to sit for more than a few minutes, and that she'll throw a tantrum even before the plane leaves the terminal! I'm afraid of the stares and possible rude comments from other passengers.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I really don't want to make the trip, but my relatives have not met my daughter yet, and it's much easier for me to travel to ca than to have 60 + of my family members fly to ny!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Let her sleep when she wants to-- you may get lucky. We travel alot, and DS frequently falls asleep during takeoff. Unfortunately, that was the hardest age for me to fly with him, because he didn't want to stay in my lap. Definitely bring some new toys to play with (I 2nd the magna doodle). DS had a little backpack that I filled with new stuff, and everytime I could see him starting to get antsy I'd pull out a new toy. Bring lots of snacks and let her snack all day if you have to.

Most people are very understanding about kids, esp. if they can see you're TRYING to keep her quiet. Whenever I've flown by myself I've always had comments about what a good traveler he was (even on the trips when I didn't feel like he was!). And other passengers were usually very helpful, too (helping with the stroller, bags, etc..). If you get a dirty look, ignore it. She's a kid- they can't expect her to be quiet for 5 hours.
    Bensmommy611

Answer by Bensmommy611 at 1:38 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'd start right now today trying to tweak her sleep and/or nap schedule so she'll be as tired as possible on the flight.
    I'd get her up CRAZY early that morning and not let her nap... and keep her as hungry and thirsty as you can. She can then sleep, drink, and hopefully get bored and nap. Give her anything and everything you can think of that's interesting and fun to her but not noisy. Will she watch a DVD? does she scribble yet? Finger puppets can be lovely things. hit the library and get as many new books as you're comfortable carrying.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would hit the dollar store & pick up some new toys to pull out through out the flight to keep her entertained. Magna doodles r good to draw a pic on & let her guess what it is (if she is able to). I would do what the previous poster said too about trying to make her tired & hungry for the flight. If all else fails I'd carry some cookies/candy on w/ me in case she throws a fit to let her have. I dont approve of giving my child sugar when she has a tantrum but when we r in circumstances that a tantrum will need to be turned off quickly I'll have something packed away to help. Good Luck!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Definitely hit the store and buy some new toys/books to keep her busy. Does your child watch any TV/shows? If you have a portable DVD player that might help....And never underestimate the power of some children's benadryl.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• OP

The flight is at 6am, with a layover from 7:30am-9am...then we'll be in ca 5 hours later. She usually naps at 9:30am at 2:30pm...should I just forgo the normal nap schedule and let her nap as whenever she happens to fall asleep?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I flew from MD to AL when my son was 8 mos old, w/ a layover in GA. Some things that I did were, of course bring sippy/bottles, something for her to suck on when her ears pop. Hit up the dollar store, or whatever, and get some inexpensive toys that will keep her occupied. Maybe tweak her nap schedule or something, and you'll get lucky and she'll sleep the whole time.
    Also when I flew w/ my son, he screamed on the flight to GA, the entire way, and no one gave me nasty looks. And, I sat by 2 very nice and understanding people. Trust me, no one should give you a hard time.
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Depending on the length of the flight, it may be best to get her to sleep. If she's like my daughter and won't sleep in suh a new situation, have plenty of different activities to do with her! Their attention span is really short so you have to change it up a lot. Show her her surroundings, teach her what is and isn't acceptable behavior (expectations) and when you are changing altitudes try gettting her to drink so it helps to relase the pressure in her ears. It won't be too bad. You probably want to have a carrier for the airport unless you have a support person or help to get from gate to gate with all your stuff. Good luck and have fun! :)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Seems like PP have got you covered. Just want to add...Most people will be understanding and if they aren't don't let it get to you. If anyone says anything just say once upon a time someone had to deal with your crying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Aug. 23, 2009