To BFing Mommies...

Do you always feel let down before it's time to feed your baby? Or do you only feel it when you're feeding? I used to feel it if I wasn't around my DD and it's time for her to eat. Now I only feel let down when she's eating. Does this mean I have less milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That happened to me too. I used to let down about every 20 minutes and I'd have 3 or 4 letdowns per feed. Now I only let down once per feed and never in between.

It doesn't mean that you don't have enough milk. It means that your body has regulated your milk supply to just enough to meet your baby's needs, and it has learned that it only needs to let down while your baby is nursing. Your baby will make your body make more milk when he/she needs more. It's nature's perfect system :) Don't worry, mamma, everything is fine and you're doing great!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• The longer you nurse the more efficient your body becomes when making milk. I bf for over two years with each of my kids and I only felt let down the first few months. Not feeling it or not feeling it at certain times does not mean you supply is going down as long as your baby has plenty of wet diapers a day you are fine.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Ive been bfing for 6 months and I stopped feeling the letdown after about 3 I think.
    Ive recently been taking fenugreek because I was paranoid about my daughters low weight and I have been feeling it at every feeding.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I rarely ever felt letdown.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Letdown fades as your supply matures. With my second, I felt letdown only a few times in the beginning. It is no indication of supply. As long as your baby is satisfied and happy (and producing enough diapers) all is fine.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't feel letdown much. I never felt it the first couple months. Now sometimes when I'm getting emotional about something I'll have a letdown on just one side. My letdown feels weird though. One mom described it as an "arm going numb" feeling, but sometimes I have one tingly boob w/ an itchy nipple.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• In the early weeks I felt let down all the time. The it was only when I fed her, or if I went too long in between feedings, and eventually it was only during feedings. You're perfectly normal, and it's no indication of your supply!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thanks Mammas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I've been nursing my little guy for 20 months now, I've never actually felt "let down".
    blessed5312

Answer by blessed5312 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2009