Military wives: Is your DH in Afghanistan? If so....

If so, what news are you getting right now? Does he tell you a lot? I know they're not supposed to, but how bad does it sound? NOT what you hear on the news, but what your husband is saying? I'm just curious b/c my DH sent me a "goodbye" email today saying if he doesn't make it to tell the kids he loves them and he loves me. This is NOT normal for him and has always been positive on other deployments and this one until a few weeks ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Mine is getting ready to leave in a week or two, but is going to Iraq. The two neighbors across the street are both deployed to Afghanistan. I speak with their wives regularly, and they have never indicated that their husband's are in a greater threat because they are deployed to Afghanistan. It is possible that your husband had a really bad day, saw some disturbing images, had something go down that was out of the norm, and it shook him up. My husband is in a combat MOS and even as strong willed and minded as they are, they can doubt their mission. During our last deployment the first time out of the wire they were dismounted and had an IUD explode in front of him and another guy who is my best friend's husband. I remember talking to him, and he sounded so shaken. I actually found out about the incident because the mother of a single soldier on his time felt she needed to call me to make sure that I knew about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I was three months pregnant, and could have dealt without hearing the information from a third party. It really rattled my husband and even though he didn't tell me, I could tell something had happened. Just remember to stay positive, be supportive, and give him all of the positive reinforcement you can. They have good days and bad days, and there will be doubt, fear, and emotional ups and downs. Be his rock, and someone that is always consistent with your love. I wish you and your family the best of luck. Until they all come home.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thank you ladies for being there for my brothers. I pray for them AND you ladies also.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 6:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• It's not that he's having a bad day. He's been hinting at these things for a week and called to tell me that they've lost several guys and others are hurt really bad. I know every story from Iraq b/c he would tell me everything, but was still always very positive. This is totally different. He's with special ops and does things a lot of different things now, so even though things were bad before (he came back last time with PTSD and a TBI), this is just very different and scary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Obama is not letting much news go out because he doesn't want to be hated as GB was. The media isn't going to make a big deal about whats going on over there but I have heard they are literally now hunting down the bad guys and that is always dangerous.
    Thank god for your husband and the others who support and defend our country no matter where they are.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Anon comments from above here. Are you sure he is still taking his medications? I know some times that my husband gets lax about it. Especially since he has TBI, he really needs to make sure he isn't missing any doses. If you are really concerned you can contact FRG and see if they can get a message to the Chaplain. Perhaps he can speak with him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009