Would you let your 10 year old daughter walk to the bus stop alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in

• Yes. My daughter walks to the school bus stop by herself, she walked last year as well. We have a neighborhood of kids who all walk to the bus stop...sometimes in groups and some alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Not my daughter.
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 10:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Depends on how far. I also dont think I would be comfortable unless she was walking with a group though.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• The only way I would, is if she has a few people to walk with, you can watch her the whole way, or a cell phone, where she could talk to you the whole way until she gets on the bus. If she walks by herself, she will just be a target for predators. It is sad, but in my opinion, that is what this world has become.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Never let your child walk alone. Make sure she is with someone or you can see her. My daughter got drugged and raped because she walked the dog by herself. It happened in a little lot right in front of her dads house. There was only a little strip of trees blocking the view. We are lucky she is alive and I believe the only thing that saved her is God because all she remembers is him knocking her down and her hitting her head. PLEASE dont send her walking by herself...Its not worth taking the chance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• heck no thats just plan stupid,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Its just not worth it to me. Can you make alternating arrangements with your neighbors?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You know, I used to walk to school when I was a lot younger than that and my parents never thought twice-- but now? He!! no. The bus stop is 4 houses down so I'll probably let my child walk there alone, but stand out front watching (which is what my next door neighbor does).

I checked the sex offender registry when we moved in and found one (a young guy who's victim was 7) on the street behind me. A neighbor up the street just told me that another neighbor who I don't know (but he only lives 4 houses up) is on house arrest until his sentencing for child porn (I looked up the news article, and it was a LOT), and then I did another search and found ANOTHER sex offender with a 7 year old victim who lives on the street that runs perpendicular to ours (the one the bus stop is on). And these are just the ones we KNOW of. So no. HELL NO. There are to many freaks out there.
    Bensmommy611

Answer by Bensmommy611 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• NO. Unless I could see her board the bus with my own eyes.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• By 10 I expect my daughter to walk to school alone. They might do it this year (they will be 9, 8 and 7). They started walking home by themselves last year at 8, 7 and 6. I live in Chicago. Their school is 3 blocks away. I'm hoping by spring they will be walking alone to school. I'll start by walking them half way and watching to make sure they cross the street safely by the school (because people drive like morons around the school...mostly parents, too). I'm mostly worried about them getting hit by cars, not getting snatched.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:19 AM on Aug. 23, 2009