Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this be possible?

What would happen if the father of a child who is about to be 18 .
The father has always paid child support and got alittle behind but still pays to catch up (back child support) my question is instead of paying the BM the child support can he pay it straight to the child who is going to be 18 (He is an adult once he turns 18)..and wants to live on his own. If the child support is for the child and his well being why should the father continue to give it to the bm. (She might get upset bc she won't be getting that extra money sent to her no more) So he just might be opening a can of worms...

What are you thoughts?...thank you.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (9)
  • well i think if its back owed child support, then its money he owes to the BM for the money she put out for the well being of the child when he wasnt giving her the child support. that doesnt mean he cant still help his kid too. my mom still helps me with money and im 22 and have my own son. she wants to help me until i graduate college.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • In my opion the back child support is owed to the mom of the child. Is the child in high school still? My father in law started to send the child support money to his children instead of the ex-wife once the children were in college. This was an agreement made in court between them though.

    Answer by mom-2-4boys at 3:41 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • Backowed belongs to the mom. She's the one that put up the money he wasn't paying at that time.

    Answer by catwalksymphony at 8:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • To the mum.

    Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 7:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • The back paid support goes to the mom, as long as the child is still in school (Whether he's over 18 or not) once the child is taking care of himself then I think the child should get the money however if the child is still living at home, under the mom's roof and not working and supporting themselves then the money should still go to the mom OR to college tuition I mean after all why should the mom have to front the full bill while the father basically gives the money to the child for full range to do whatever

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • What does the divorce agreement say? How long does he have to pay in the first place? There is no reason for the father of an adult to be supporting him. Now if the divorcee agreement say different then you have to live with it or contest it. But if the kid is not in school and thinks he is a big boy and should have his own place then he needs to get a job and pay for it himself.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • if it is back, it goes to mom, unless otherwise stated, and agreed by the payer, and payee... if brand new big bad 18 year old wants to move out... they are to fend for them selves, legally, unless someone is kind enough to help out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

  • Unfortunately I would have to say to the mom. The way the system works it belongs to her. It is a very nice though to want to pay it to the child though. with any luck the BM will feel the same way and pass the money on to him. Maybe you could discuss it.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:06 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • My DH paid child support through social services, which meant that even when he got behind in child support, the BM still got her set amount, the back child support only paid social services back. My DH's payments did not go to the BM, they went to social services, and social services sent the BM a check every month, for the same amount, whether DH paid that amount or not.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.