Do u think i gave my baby an infection?

i get cold sores when the weather acts crazy. so one popped up and i kissed my baby on the cheek no slaiva was transferred into an open cut or her mouth or anything like that. and i didnt kiss her with the part of my lip that was infected. do u think i passed on the infection or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No I really doubt it.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would say probably not. But even though there was no saliva, that wouldn't matter. It's more of a skin on skin contact. However, since you kissed her on the opposite side, I really don't think there's anything to worry about. Just in case though, I would seriously watch to make sure she shows NO signs of the infection. And if you do see them immediately send her in to the dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• HSV (Herpes/cold sores/fever blisters, etc whatever you want to call it) is shed skin to skin not saliva.. So you can pass it on even without kissing her. By touching your face with your hand and then touching her without washing your hands, laying her on a pillow that you laid on without it being washed, etc etc... Also the virus can be passed on at any time even without a sore present so just because you don't have a sore doesn't mean you can't pass it on to her. Chances are she either has already been exposed or will be exposed before she is too old.

If she is infected it isn't THAT big of a deal to be honest with you just as long as you are careful and make sure she doesn't get the infection in her eyes. Make sure to constantly wash your hands and limit face to face contact with her.... I was always funny about anyone getting in my sons face I try to avoid it at all costs.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It's very possible. Hubby gets them a lot and has given them to our kids with less contact than that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2009