Problems with my MD

Has anyone has any issues with their obstetrician?

I seem to have a personality conflict with mine. Its very upsetting to me
because this is a very important time in my husband's and my life and I don't
think I should have to deal with a rude doctor.

The jist of it is...she seems to be very impatient and has a short fuse. She
doesn't seem to like it when I ask questions (and I dont ask that many). She
has gotten defensive as if I am questioning her expertise. She has gotten rude
and demeaning while answering. Also, there have been several questions that
I've asked her that she plainly answeres "I dont know"...so I ask the nurse or
find the answeres online. I know for a fact she knows the answers so I feel its
a slap in the face that she doesnt give me more than "I dont know". Isnt that
her job???

I've considered switching doctors but I'm 10 weeks out from due date now so

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I switched doctors within the same practice at 26 weeks with my first because I felt that my doc's bedside manner was just plain cold. She wasnt mean or anything but she was just cold. I wanted a doc who would "hold my hand" so-to-speak throughout my pregnancy and that just wasnt her. Then at 35 weeks I switched offices completely because I just wasnt happy with them! There is no telling which doc will be on call when you deliver so if you stay in the same office, she might end up delivering your baby anyways.

But now is the point of your pregnancy when you will be going in alot more (you should be going 7 more times, assuming you make it to your due date) so you should be able to look forward to those visits and not dread an insensitive doc
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Definitely get a new doctor. If you are uncomfortable and she doesn't answer questions, go with someone you trust and are comfortable with. You don't want your doctor demeaning you when you are in labor. You will want someone who will understand what your going through, etc.
    There are too many wonderful doctors out there, you shouldn't stay with someone like that.
    Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You can switch, its never too late. You are under no obligation to stay with this person no matter how far along you are. Why pay someone for rude demeaning behavior? Would you put up with such a thing for any other doctor you saw? OB's aren't any different than any other person you hire to do YOU a service.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I switched at 28 weeks cause I could not stand my OB. He was great at first, then just got progressively worse. The final straw was when they FORGOT I was at the office for a visit. I sat in an exam room for 1 1/2 hrs. I dont have much of a choice on OB's because of TriCare insurance, but I like the one I have now much better. Make sure you are comfortable with you OB!
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 12:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• >:-(
    Grr. If you are still pregnant then it's not too late. (I have heard of women firing their attendant IN labor...)
    You should get the care you deserve (and are paying greatly for!).
    This IS a very special time, absolutely, and it does affect the mood established for transitioning into Motherhood. That means that you need to be treated well, have a satisfying experience in order to best start your new role as a mom.

Are you high-risk? Healthy? Do you have good health coverage? Are there other options near by? How about midwives?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• ps, I also switched from my OB to a midwifery practice early on. It was incredibly different, the opposite. I am INCREDIBLY grateful!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:15 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Thanks for all your responses. We have our next appointment next Monday so my plan is to see how it goes and if I sense any inapropriateness, I'll have a little talk with my doc. If things dont go well with the talk, I'll definitely switch.

To answer your questions, doulala, I'm not considered high risk. I am healthy and do have good health coverage. My doc is part of a group so I can switch withing the group if needed. The only problem with that may be the awkwardness if my doc ends up delivering.

Thanks for all your support!
    Munchkin09

Answer by Munchkin09 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I switched for the very same reason and went with a CNM practice which was completely different and terrific. I still had an epi and the meds I wanted/needed but had incredible care during my prenatal visits and during the birth. I'd seriously consider a CNM practice.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2009