Overload for a 3 year old?

Okay. I have a serious problem with the fact that so many children have turned into TV and video game junkies that don't want to do anything but be inside, sitting. Well, I always wanted to be sure that my children were active and involved in something that they love.

So I have my daughter in 2 different things. Sshe goes to gymnastics once a week and dance once a week. Is that an overload?

Don't get me wrong I am not letting compete or anything like that, that's something for her to decide once she is older and IF she sticks with it. Right now she has fun but as she gorws those may not be what she is in to.

Is it wrong to put your kids in programs like that as little kids? Or is it better to introduce them to different things so that later that are involved in something?

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As long as she is interested and having fun then i don't see a problem with it.

KzaM4Infinity

Answer by KzaM4Infinity at 11:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't think that is overload. I think as much as you can different activities at this age are awesome! I do alot of recreation classes with my kids through the city especially in the summer to keep them active. What they do all summer is overload but I did not want them home all day watching tv and in AZ its too hot to just play outside. But they had fun although I was exhausted!

I do think when kids are in school many parents put them in way too much stuff!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Doesn't sound like overload, especially if she is enjoying it and also gets plenty of free play time (without parents hovering over her shoulder).
    My 3yo is doing gymnastics once a week. I would have signed her up for another class that meets on Fridays but it was going to conflict with my older kids' classes (which I ended up not signing them up for anyway). My middle daughter did 3 activities one spring. She was 5 and had arts and crafts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, gardening on Mondays and Wednesdays and soccer on Friday. Plus preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Preschool was 1 1/2 hours (at a park that was a 15 minute walk from our house). The classes were each an hour long. I thought she would overload after the first week but she loved having something to do each day and since she was turning 6 and starting kindergarten in the fall it was her last chance to take the classes. My 3yo could probably handle it, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• It depends. Are you at home or do you work? What I mean by that is if you are at home and she has time to relax it is not over load at all. And how wonderful you can provide those opportunities for her. If you work, she goes to school/daycare, and she has those activities on top of that....it may be a bit much. It really just depends on your (and her's) schedule. She also may be the type of child who moves at top speed and it doesn't phase her to keep busy. If so....keep up the activities. If a child is more relaxed and content to be just involved in a one thing....that's not a bad thing. Bottom line, do you feel stressed and like you are on over load? If you do that may indicate that the schedule is just not working. No problems with getting there and you feel relaxed? Then she probably does to. I'm just clapping that you limit television and videos. You're off to a great start.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing as frawg....Is she at school everyday plus these activities? If so, it might be a bit much. I might have only done 1 actitivity during the week but if shes not showing signs of fatigue or dragging her feet, then just keep doing what youre doing. My 3 yr old does not go to school OR do any activities because he has 3 older siblings who are in volleyball, football right now and play sports ALL year long. So its not his turn yet. Next spring he MIGHT be eligible for t ball but we will see. Its not as much about overloading HIM, but more like over loading US.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• We have a rule of no more than one activity per child at one time. I prefer that they have open playtime at home inside or outside rather than organized activities. When they are older (they are 3 & 5) I will probably permit a second activity, like boy scouts and music lessons. I don't think kids need organized sports to be active - playing outside (and inside) is sufficient! But TURN OFF THE TV and computer! My kids are not permitted to watch more than 30 min of screen time per day - and right now that's only TV as they are not allowed on the computer and don't have any video games.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Not an overload at all, you want to keep your child busy and active, and let's not mention obesity. Most kids who are obesity are more likely sitting all day watching tv, on the computer, or playing video games.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I will say that one thing I regret my parents did not do for me is some sort of organized activity. If it can be done fiancially I think it is a wonderful opportunity. I have always felt I missed out. I was very active playing in my backyard and running around with the neighborhood kids....but still is not the same.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• She goes to preschool 3 days a week and here preschool is only 3 hours a day. Thanks for all of the help mamas!!!!

Unfortunately, I am too paranoid with her being outside alone right now... Maybe when she is 15. Also, since we live in an apartment we don't have the benefit of a yard that her and I can explore... :(
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009