What is the going rate for babysitters?

I'm about to start babysitting for my neighbors. It's going to be about 8 hours a day 3 days a week. It's for 1 child about 4 weeks old. . . any suggestions would be a great help. Oh, if it helps, I'm from Monroe, MI. Thanks. . .

chrissmom734

Asked by chrissmom734 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• the going rate in my area is around 25.00 to 30.00 a day for an infant. So maybe around 75.00 a week.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I watch a little girl from 11:30 (picking her up from Pre-K) until about 3:30, 4 days a week and I'm getting paid $100 a week.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• LIVE IN CA AND IT AINT CHEAP. I JUST EMPLOYED A NANNY TO TAKE CARE OF MY 9MTH OLD DD. SHE WILL BE GETTING PAID $11/HR FOR 12 HRS A WK. NO OFFENSE BUT I NOTICED THAT ILLEGIALS ARE WILLING TO WORK FOR CHEAPER AND DO A GREAT JOB AS OPPOSED TO AN AMERICAN. NOT THAT THEY DONT DO A GREAT JOB TOO BUT THEY R ALOT PRICEIER. GOOD LUCK. AND MAKE SURE U GRILL THEM DURING THEIR INTERVIEWS WITH U.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 2:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• We had a high school girl watch our girls for three hours last night while we went to a function and we paid her $100. It just depends on how long, where you live, etc on how much you pay them.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I had a babysitter that charges$25.00 per day 5 days a week.She has been taking care of kids for 30 years her maxium of kids is twelve she is great.She also takes care of kids 24 hours .I used to work in nursing so I worked a lot of night shift or split shift and also provides three complete meals and snacks .The best babysitter I ever had in my life.Mexican women are great the illegals because they cook better,clean better and they are great with kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• It really depends on your area. Is it a big time city? Some places around here people are paying $25 an HOUR for sitters and that is considered the norm. I am watching my friends kids and she is paying me $10 an hour. Other places ..like where I use to live ....the norm was $25 a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2009