what should my 15 month old be saying?

My son was 15 months on 8-10-09. He understands what is said to him, but says no words. He babbles and coos and does makes letter sounds. Shakes his head yes & no, waves bye bye, softly coos at the animals well petting them, and makes Mmm sounds well eating. When we say nap he goes to his crib, when we talk about eating he goes to hid chair, same as with many other words. He fully understands no, picks up when I say time to clean up. He also "tells" me when he wants something. Like gets a new diaper when he wants changed goes to the pantry when he wants a snack, hands me a cup for a drink , he even turns on the stereo and dances. But his language has not developed, when he was younger he would go ma-mama when I entered a room but then stopped and is now only beginning with Dada. All other developmental milestones where early or on time, should I be worried

quila_sunrise

Asked by quila_sunrise at 11:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• normal
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• oh he is fine...for one he is a boy and they often do not talk as fast as girls but what he does now with understanding, babbling, and even showing you what he wants is really good! My daughter said a few words at 15mos she is now 17mos so says about 10 now but girls tend to talk faster. My son at 16mos said nothing just babbled alot but was like your son as far as understanding waving bye. He was slow to talk but even by 2 1/2 his speech advanced beyond my friends kids who talked so much earlier than him! I have two girls and they both talked early....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'm glad to hear this...like most of his other milestones came early such as rolling, crawling, walking, self feeding hand/utensil. So I just thought it was weird that his language has not taken off yet.
    quila_sunrise

Answer by quila_sunrise at 11:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Oh you are fine. if it still happens when he is two then i would ask the doctor.
    Ashlee0323

Answer by Ashlee0323 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I think that it is fine too. Boys do develop later than girls alot of time. On the check list that I have from our local health unit, it says at age one they should say one other word besides mama and dada. If you are concerned, have you ever thought to have his hearing tested? Sometimes even though they can hear, they cannot hear enough to pick up well on language. I work at a daycare in the toddler room, and I would suggest a hearing test to a parent that was concerned. But he may just be to busy with everything else, and language will catch up.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 2:07 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Many children may say their first words sometimes between ten and fourteen months. It is not unheard of for a child to not have speech until eighteen months, but you should begin to hear more speech in the next few months. Many factors contribute to a wide range of normal. Heredity, Birth order, Gender, Child -care arrangement, and his language environment. An example of how you can encourage his language is, when he brings you his diaper or cup, say to him," Oh, your brought me your diaper, you want your diaper changed." While you change his diaper talk to him about what he is doing, and what you are doing. When he brings you his cup, say the same thing. "Oh you want a drink, tell mommy drink." Wait for a short time and see if he will give you some verbal response. Even if it is "da" or "dink", try to get a sound from him to represent the word drink.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• (Continued) If he does give you a sound, praise him loud and proud, say,"Good Talking ....., you said drink! You are the model for his speech until he gets around other kids he knows. Talk to him alot! Try to get him to at least attempt to make a sound even if it is not really close to the word. Also, make sure his ears are clear of any fluid, wax, or have infection. Problems with hearing directed impact the speech progress. Right now he is using his practice speech when he uses single or double syllable sounds. So help him practice.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:12 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My DD is the same age and doing the exact same thing. She understands everything we say, babbles a lot, "tells" me what she wants with pointing, but no definite speech yet minus mama and dada. I'm going to bring it up with the ped. next month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2009