Migraines and Munchies

Does anyone else get the munchies like mad after a migraine? When I have the migraine itself, I have to force myself to eat, so I can take the meds, if I didn't catch the warning signs and take the meds beforehand, but after the migraine is over, I find myself with a severe case of cottonmouth (not a side effect of the meds) and a nearly bottomless pit of a stomach that is nearly impossible to make happy. It doesn't have to be a certain kind of food (sweet, sour, savory, spicy, healthy, junk food) I just have to have a small amount of just about every kind of food in the house, it seems.

Anyone else have this problem? (It really blows my diet, especially since I've been doing SOOOO good here lately! LOL)

debra_benge

Asked by debra_benge at 11:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Health

• sorry i cannot help you with your question, but i read your title and thought it said.."Marijuana and Munchies"lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I did but migraines for me were physically draining. Id have them 2-3 times a week, with aura, and throw up about 3 times each time. They always lasted over an hour, too. After the pain was all gone, I'd be hungry from throwing up my insides lol (and sore, too!). Thankfully I figured out it was the bc I was taking and I threw them in the trash! Are you sure the hunger isn't a side effect of the meds? Either way, if you're worried about your diet try eating something healthy and filling, like chicken or something w/ carbs.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Hubby's cousin used to deal with them, and actually found what was triggering them, but she actually lost a fair amount of weight when dealing with them/prior to finding the triggers - she'd still feel so sick after having one she couldn't eat much. Even now, about 5 years after finding her triggers, she's thin and has troubles eating some foods that are technically fine for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I know what my triggers are, dehydration and not getting enough sleep, so I try to avoid those, but I've been dealing with insomnia, which REALLY doesn't help with avoiding the migraines. I get 2-3 a week as well, and unfortunately mine last anywhere from 2 hours to 24 hours (2 if I can take the meds at the first signs of an impending migraine, and 24 if I don't have any meds, like when NONE of the pharmacies in our little town had my meds!)
    I get the munchies whether I take the meds or not, same with having cottonmouth (luckily, water more than satisfies that part of the problem, so I just guzzle as much water as my stomach will handle, which helps with the munchies, but doesn't solve that aspect.)
    I'm just wondering if I'm weird or if others have this problem as well.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2009