Why didn't Price explain his plan?

Tom Price gave the GOP weekly address today. He had a chance to outline the GOP plan, but didn't. Here's the text of his speech:

"Hello, I'm Congressman Tom Price. And I have the privilege of representing the Sixth District of Georgia. Before coming to Congress I was a physician, taking care of patients on the north side of Atlanta for more than twenty years.

"Right now, Americans from coast to coast are debating the monumental task of reforming our health system. Folks of every political persuasion understand the imperative of reform. But they want reform that keeps what's good with our current system - and fixes what's not working - without destroying our quality of care.

"The status quo in American health care is clearly unacceptable. Rising costs, shrinking access, and third-party decision making are driving patients away from their doctors and the desired care that they seek.

(To be continued...)

Asked by gdiamante at 11:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Telling people what the other guy's plan does, and doesn't, without specifics on yours.....somewhat fluffy, and not what I expect from a dr. You can bullet point anything, and I didn't see that.

I have the same beef about the current bills in discussion. Tell me what it does, don't tell me how it is so different from ABC.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• "The challenge, however, is providing Americans more accessible and affordable care without impairing the quality, innovation, and choices that define American medicine. And this is simply impossible with the one-size-fits-all approach taken by the President and Democrats in charge of Congress.

"Experience tells me that as a doctor, no two patients are exactly alike. While the same diagnosis can be reached for two people, the proper treatment for each may be completely different, based on a countless number of factors that only a patient, their family, and a caring and compassionate physician truly understand. Having navigated federal health care programs for two decades, I can tell you that Washington is incapable of processing the personal and unique circumstances that patients and doctors face each and every day.

(to be continued...)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• "That is why a positive solution will put power in the hands of patients, not insurance companies or the government.

"Unfortunately, the plan being promoted by the White House would give Washington the power to make highly personal medical decisions on behalf of patients - on behalf of you. Now whether it's the government choosing what should be in your family's health care plan, or a bureaucratic board deciding what treatments are appropriate and who should receive them, the President's plan is a 1,000-page expression supporting the notion that Washington knows best when it comes to your family's health care. And that's simply not true.

"As opposition to the Democrats' government-run health plan is mounting, the President has said he'd like to stamp out some of the disinformation floating around out there.

(to be continued...)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• So as someone who's taken care of patients, I'd like to take a moment to clear up a couple of the President's worst offenses.

"On the stump, the President regularly tells Americans that 'if you like your plan, you can keep your plan.' But if you read the bill, that just isn't so. For starters, within five years, every health care plan will have to meet a new federal definition for coverage - one that your current plan might not match, even if you like it.

"Now the President has also said that he thinks the government should compete with your current health care plan. But we all know that when the government is setting the rules and is backed by tax dollars, it will destroy - not compete with - the private sector.

(to be continued...)

"What's more, experts agree that under the House bill, millions of Americans will be forced off their personal, private coverage and shuffled onto the government plan.

• "The reality is, whether or not you get to keep your plan, or your doctor, is very much in question under the President's proposal.

"But perhaps the most striking misinformation the President has put forth is that there are only two options out there for America - that it's his way or the highway. That it's either the government running the show - or insurance companies. The truth is there is a third way - a better way, a patient-centered way to reform health care. Rather than allowing insurance companies or the government to call the shots, Republicans want to put patients in charge of their family's health care. We have plans to increase coverage and lower costs without putting a bureaucrat between you and your doctor. We believe that what's good for patients is good for American health care.

"If anything has been learned from the debate in August, it's that the American people think that we can do better.

(tbc)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• They seek reform, but they reject a government-centered approach. With people on the left, and the right, and everywhere in between dissatisfied with the process, it's time that we start over to create a truly bipartisan solution that puts patients in charge. Honoring the transparency promised the American people, and the principles of quality care we all hold dear, we can create a patient-centered proposal that all may support. We look forward to working with the President, and on behalf of the American people, to make patient-centered health reform a reality.

"I'm Congressman Tom Price. Thanks so much for listening."

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Sorry for having to post that way...my source for the text is the newsroom system and I can't link to that!

So. His speech was fine as far as it went...but I'd like to have heard the specifics of the GOP plan from him. I think it's a bit disengenuous to complain that you're not getting coverage of your bill when you don't use your own pulpit to promote it.

An admission here: I haven't yet had time to read the Price bill. Trying to carve that time out now.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thank you! I wish he would have exercised this opportunity to bring it out there! It really is a good plan, I mean there are some flaws but nothing is perfect.

I am just hoping that this isn't a sign they are throwing out any other plan, other then the H.R. 3200. I have been afraid of that.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have no idea what this Q is about, but I hate when people copy and past this much. Problem with condensing?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I loved that! Obviously he ran out of time. Here is what he proposes. I still think other tings could be added but this is an excellent start.

http://rsc.tomprice.house.gov/UploadedFiles/RSC_EPFA_One-Page_Summary--FINAL.pdf
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2009