car seats (rear or forward)

I am curious as to whether your 1 yr old faces forward or back wards? How old are they and what do they weigh?

My 17mos old is rear facing and she is 20 pounds. My pediatrician told me they want all babies regardless of size face rear as close to 2 as possible but I see so many forward facing!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is highly recommended to rear facing as long as possible, rear facing is much safer then forward facing.
    Please watch this youtube video and it will help explain :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo
    Many mothers do not have knowledge or don't realize just how much safer rear facing is, it's really a shame that the minimum age for forward facing is as young as 1 yr and 20 lbs. As if that is not bad enough some moms forward face their child even before that. If I were you I'd do the research so you understand just how important it is to rear face. If you ask you'll see most extended rear facing moms have made the choice to rear face by doing a lot of research where as most moms who forward face at the minimum age have not done any research and are not aware of the dangers of early forward facing. So just ask yourself this who's advice would you feel more confortable following.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• rear facing is safer until 35 pounds. There are lots of care safety groups here on CM. you might look into joining one.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:07 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My daughter is almost 21 months old and STILL rear-facing. I plan to keep her like that until she is no longer comfortable, and from the looks of it, that is still at least several months away. It makes me sad to see little ones forward-facing when they've barely reached one year of age!
    LostFan815

Answer by LostFan815 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Mine were all 20 lbs well before they turned one, so on their 1st birthdays we turned them all around. No ERF for us! But then again, I'd never heard of it before joining cafemom. Anyone I've mentioned it to thinks it's crazy. Not a normal thing for our neck of the woods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my dd is 30 ms and 28lns and rides rf. i plan to keep her rf till her limit runs out in the carseat(35lbs)
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Regardless of anyone else's opinion my son was 1 and over 20 pounds when we faced him forward

My daugter will be the same

and so will baby #3

We don't ERF because it's not our choice to despite the opinions of other mothers, you do what you want for your child just like we do
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 12:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i FF at 8 months old my choice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my my kids were ff at about 9 or 10 mos. they were just to long to be squished against that back seat.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My daughter is nearing 21 months old and is still rear-facing. If you look at any safety studies at all they will tell you that it is safest for toddlers to be rear facing until the limits of the car seat. I know she would be a ton more comfortable if I turned her around and I could interact with her more if she was forward facing, but her safety is WAY too important to me.

Anyone else think it is odd that those who choose to go forward facing early either comment anonymously or defensively?
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 1:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I can't believe people actually FF before one year! My god who cares if your kid dies...wow! I don't care if they are big their heads still are not strong enough to face a collision! I did FF my first two at age 1 but thats what the doctor recommended and they were big and they are 4 and 6 now so that was awhile ago. The baby RF though at 1 because its considered thew safest way for them to be! SAFETY FIRST!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2009