Pagans, are you invovled in your community?

It's been a long times sense i've done volunteer work, but I will hopefully be joining my sons PTO meetings at his school. If that works out i have plans to start a Litter Free Lunch program. I also have big plans to get my kids involved in volunteer work when they get a bit older.
I have an almost 5yr old and an almost 4yr old.
What about you?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:20 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmm, I've hosted more than a few PNO's over the years. I try to make sure I make it to ritual planning and to contribute my meager skills. And now I'm organizing Pagan Parent play-dates for my local area. And I participate in my UU fellowship.
    I have a 2 year old and a 2 month old.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Only kind of community work is to volunteer for the local shelter once in awhile. I haven't done that lately either. Been very busy.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Haven't had a chance to do much community volunteer work in a while. But I've been doing some through the web...offering email support to people dealing with ptsd and other trauma related issues.
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 12:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Yeah...we are all involved in some way or another. I work as a director of religious education for a Unitarian Universalist church, and with that as my job, I also find opportunities to volunteer either within the church or in the community. We do Unicef, Soles for Ghanna, School supply collections, mittens and coats, adopt a family at the holidays, Guest at your table, etc.

Our pagan group does a lot of volunteering at food tables, project Linus, animal rescue, etc.
    Arianna

Answer by Arianna at 1:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Well, yes and no. I do help with fund raising for the local Childrens Hospital. But there is very little to get involved with here. I have tried to volunter for a number of programs and been told time and time again, they don't need any more help. We are a very little town and most HS students are required to do so many hours of comunity service as are scouts and other organisations. So there is little left for the rest of us. So, I do what I can. I also do a good bit online. I figure just because it's not going to my town doesn't mean it isn't helping. I have a number of charities that I promote online as well as locally... We donate all our clothes, furnature and old toys as well as food. Again though it's hard to find places to take the stuff. I have had 2 big boxes of food here to donate that no one is willing to take it. The food bank says they don't need it... So, I do my best!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I donate frequently to Cerebral Palsy and Salvation Army (on those rare occasions when I get down to my basement to clean up some of the clutter). I scour the yard sales every summer for old dolls and, during the winter, I clean them up and dress them. In Dec. I donate them to the Santa Shop sponsored by Caring Ministries. I am a ventriloquist and I do puppet shows (I'm booked at a local Hospice Living facility tomorrow) for schools, nursing homes, libraries, and other groups (like the Elks).
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Absolutely!

Last year, I baked for the school bakesale, assisted the school office with typing up letters for parents, volunteered at the annual jog a thon and attended as many fundraisers as I could.

In addition, I'm on the volunteer list for my local Habitat for Humanity and I helped found a small international non-profit that raises money and awareness for other charities. We have donated to a number of other groups, including homeless shelters, teen mentorship programs, veteran's groups, animal shelters, orphans' groups and medical charities. My group gives 100% of our proceeds to our charities. We pay for our overhead out of the pockets of our board members. (Not many can say that....)

On a smaller level, I never pass a Salvation Army kettle w/o dropping in at least one coin (even if I pass a kettle 15 times that day, I always drop in something...) and we try to adopt a child from the Angel tree or Toys for Tots.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• CONT.

I also try to shop at the local thrift stores that raise money for children, the homeless and/or domestic violence. When we pack up the kids' outgrown, useable clothing, they go back to the same thrift shops for them to resell.

I joined a program that lets me donate to my children's school every time I use my credit card at participating merchants.

I also collect the boys' outgrown winter coats and backbacks for school and community coat/backpack drives.

A few years ago, we stuffed the backpacks with new school supplies and the school collected them to send to New Orleans.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009