My 5th grader has no new clothes/shoes for school!

Do you think ppl will notice? I feel bad for him......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Iron his clothes real good,try to get him a new book bag and new shoes,if, he at least have a new bag or shoes,he will feel okay,and the kids won't notice. When, my kids were younger, I would purchased 5 shirts with bottoms to match,but, I would also wash and starch the old clothing too, 1 day they would wear new clothing,the next day,they would wear old clothing. I think,we,as, parents feel so bad when we can't do for our kids at Christmas,birthday,new school year,but, really the kids aren't worry,like,I said,get him a book bag and he will be happy.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Mom,times are tough for everyone and kids can be mean-i think it depends-there was many a time when my kids went back to school without new things-my neices n nephews as well-try a clothes closet-may not be new but new to him :):) good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Im sure no one will notice. Plus I know youre not the only family feeling the tough times. Good luck with everything.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I am sure there are several going back without brand new clothes. my brother is this year and my mom is having a harder time dealing with it than him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• NEW CLOTHES OR SHOES DOES NOT GOOD PERSON MAKE, THOSE WHO POINT THIS OUT ARE NOT VERY TRUE FRIENDS. ONLY THE SHALLOW KIDS WILL NOTICE, AND WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK. YOUR SON WILL BE JUST FINE, TELL HIM MAYBE NEXT YEAR WILL BE BETTER AND NEXT YEAR THOSE NEW THINGS WILL BE SO MUCH MORE APPRECIATED!

Answer by older at 9:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• As long as his clothes are clean and well kept, it doesn't matter. You will make it matter to him if you make it known to him that it bothers you. Pump up his self esteem and teach him that clothes don't make the person, the person makes the clothes. Good luck!
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 10:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• you should shop at the thrift stores they have some really neat things there you wouldn't even know it came from there......
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 11:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• This is so weird to me, I hate it when people are like, oh we are not working, or the ecomony is bad----well last june when school was let out you knew it was going to start again. People pull the same sh** at christmas. I am a single mother with two kids, recieve no child support and work a low paying job and was on unemployement 6 months out of this year and still provide everything with no help, going to thrift stores and rummage sales, k mart lay a way, School starting, birthdays and christmas happen the same time every year-- why don't poor people plan for these things at tax refund time, or start shopping months before. These are yearly occurances, not unplanned suprises!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Who says kids have the have NEW clothes to start the school year? I don't get that.
    My kids wear uniforms and I was just ironing their shirts for tomorrow and realized not only are my son's shirts too small (knew that) but they are covered in stains. Grr. Last year one of the girls had a pen in the laundry so his one shirt has purple splotches all over it (tiny ones) and the other shirt has some kind of stain from gum that was there most of the year. I had planned to get him new shirts but couldn't afford them and only got him new slacks which he had to have since his old ones didn't fit any more. So tomorrow he will got to school with purple splotches on his shirt.
    The girls' blouses are only slightly neater (although all are freshly ironed). They've had these shirts for 2 years now and have to last another year. Life goes on. My son also has a hole in the knee of his gym pants that he will have to live with.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• We already started school here, and my kids have a few things that are new to mix in with thier old, and I started a few months ago, but what I can tell you is that a lot of kids this year did not have new clothes, they were neat and clean but not new and that is very unusuall here. I wouldn't worry, if you make it a big deal your son will to.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2009