I read a book that said at 6 months is when babies start to understand certain words..

like their name and "No"

do you think this is true??
i tell me DD no when she does certain things but i dont really expect her to understand and listen to it (& she doesnt lol) but id like to get the idea of listen to mommy in her head early...

Do you think babies that young understand certain words?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im sure that they do. My son(who is 15 now) knew over 100 words and spoke in complete, accurate sentences when he was 1 y/o. He talked so much because I talked to him so much. I used real words with him always, and never really "baby" talked at all. His speech and word content was amazing and Im sure its because I started talking to him so much when he was a baby. I did this with my other children also, but with my daughter, my son was still doing all the talking, so he talked for her. She knew and understood words, just didnt talk. My youngest also understood words very young. You just have to talk to them and show them what you are talking about at the same time, as in cup, dog, bottle, things like that, kwim? (things like no and their name are natural for them to recognize so young because its used a lot)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 3:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I totally agree! My daughter had a very large vocabulary at a very young age also. She would amaze people because she was so tiny, but she spoke like a 5 or 6 year old. Talk to your kids from the time they are very young, birth really, and they will understand, absorb, and learn. Throw the book out or at least stop depending on it for everything and realize it is not filled with instructions or exact ages, only guidelines.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'm with the above two posters. I don't remember when my son started actually recognizing words but very soon he at least recognized tone of voice and sounds and then gradually recognized words, and I really think much sooner than 6 months.

The doctors also told us that babies didn't actually see for a couple months. Yeah right, my son's eyes tracked objects and looked right into mine within days. And the smile being gas? Hah. We have a picture of my son sitting on my lap at three weeks old looking into my eyes and grinning at me.

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my 19 month old still dosnt listen to me when i say no! she pretends she dosnt hear me and keeps going or runs like crazy to get whatever it is!
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 6:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009