If your child was a little (slow) would you let her ride the bus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in

• MY SON IS A LITTLE SLOW HE HAS ADD BUT I WATCHED HIM A FEW TIMES AND WENT OVER RULES AND THEN STARTED WATCHING FROM A FAR WITHOUT HIM KNOWING JUST TO MAKE SURE HE WAS OK AND THAT I WAS MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION AND HE WAS FINE AND PROBABLY THE ONLY RESPONSIBLE ONE AT THE BUS STOP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• yes as long as the bus driver was aware of the situation, check with the school maybe they even have a van or something they could pick him up in! Good luck!
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 8:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• It depends on your child! You know your child best! Most can do much of the same. They need to be let to do for themselves too! Even if its harder. Everyone strives to do for themselves & be independent! Maybe he or she is more capable then you think! Plus+ the feeling of being like everyone else is a wonderful feeling! Do you have anyone on the bus you trust that could watch too? To be Certain Everything is going Well!! I've chaperoned Every Class Field Trip & function... From K-12. Everyone does things in their own time & Way. Children can so Surprise you with their capabilities if you just give them A Chance! Believe. Let them go. Its not easy. But in the end its helpful! Best of Luck. But of course you know Best!! Have A Happy School year!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Of course, why not? She/her has every right to be on the bus. I would never treat them any different than a normal kid.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My child is mentally slow and becasue she gets some special ed she gets to ride the small bus for kids with special needs they pick up and drop off in front of our house
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 1:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have a HFA son and I drove him to and from school each day. My daughter told me some of the things that go on in a bus. So I decided to drive both of them. If it is not in your schedule you can request a special needs bus to pick her up. Just have them put it into your IEP. Stating your daughter could not handle the stress or social situations in a large bus. My son has sensory issues and the chaos of a large bus would cause a major meltdown.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 3:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• The term is developementally delayed or learning delayed. Not slow or retarded or whatever negitive lable you use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My son was tried out on the regular bus the first week of last year...he's not "slow" but he does have Asperger's ...the bus driver decided it wasn't a good fit and he was switched to a van with an aide. So you could always give it a go and be aware ....bus drivers are NOT told of your child's special needs, you have to inform them yourselves if you want them to know!!! My uncle was a bus driver...for one of the vans ... and was told NOTHING about any of the childrens' conditions so if you feel it would be helpful for them to know YOU need to tell them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2009