Have you ever had to deal with a parent will a mental illness?

Have any of you had to deal with a parent that has bi-polar or any mental illness? How do you deal with them? Do you have to deal with them not taking their medication and what have you done if they do not take it? Have you put them into the hospital against their will to get them help or would you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I AM the parent with a mental illness and I fight it every day so that my kids don't have to deal with my Issues. It's damned hard. I take my meds, attend therapy and do my best to stay out of hospital so they don't have to deal with it all. My husband helps, too.

My brother also has a mental illness. Unlike me he doesn't take care of himself but at least he doesn't have kids or a wife to worry about him. I figure that he can drug (street drugs, rather than his prescribed meds) and drink himself into a stupor if he wants to. I won't be his Mother, as I have enough to deal with looking after myself, my own illness and my family.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 3:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Yes my mom is mentally ill. I grew up a foster kid so even from that time we never bonded and she beat my siblings and me. I forgave her and have let her bak in my life but then she causes problems and starts acting crazy! She's disturbed and she doesnt take her medication she is in denial. She does witchcraft and has spent alot of money on fortune tellers and stuff. My mom is dangerous! Her parental rights were terminated by the state of california and she has been found to be a danger to children which is why I don't let her around my children. I suffered alot as a child under he care and I cannot expose my girls to that the first response sounds like she cares about her kids enough to get it together but my mom doesn't and if you ever tell her otherwise OMGosh! She will go balistic on you! She calls the police all the time and makes stuff up! I live in san diego and she lives in reno
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• No, but I am a parent with mental illness and have had to be hospitalized off and on for about a year or so.
    It was really tough on my daughters and husband, but they had each other and cared for each other while I wasn't able to do so.
    The times I came home they cared for me, but not in an incapacitated sense because I could physically take care of myself, but they were there to orient me and shower me with love - the best healing medicine of all. ♥
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2009