how much do you let go?

i feel like i have to punish my son too much. and after i punish him i think "well maybe that wasn't that big of a deal and i didn't really need to punish him". how much do you let your kids get away with? and what do you feel absolutely needs a punishment??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i let my daughter get away with stuff the first 2 - 3x il slapher hand/arm a little bit nt hard an then if she keeps doing it THEN i spank her a little harder....but only if she spillsomething,or does something major(breaks something u know) shes only 14 months they haveto learn early on that when we say no its no
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If she KNOWS she shouldn't be doing something or I've told her before not to do something (like climbing behind the tv) I put her in time out or in her room. If she spills milk or whatever I let it go. If I can tell it was an accident I let it go and say "it's ok!" and she helps me clean it up. I was SOOO mad today! she spilt RED JUICE on the carpet! but she didn't mean to.... so I bit my lip and cleaned it up!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:35 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my little one likes to climb,and we have bench type thing at our table she likes to get up on and stand,well i have taken her off of this thing and taped her bottom and she still does it,but when she sees me coming or i say something to her shell sit down.ill let her do that a few times hen ill take her down and say no.ill give baby a few chances,if they dont listen
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Children need boundaries in order to feel safe. At this age group, they test the boundaries over and over. I think it is totally unnecessary to spank a child to help them learn boundaries. It only teaches them to hit others. They are sponges and they are watching you. Think of what is really important to you that your child does/doesn't and let it be your guidelines. For me safety is always first priority. if my dd is jumping on the couch, its not okay. I stop her, look her in the eyes and say "no" firmly. I expect her to try it again (and she does) and I do the same thing.
    jaysmommy007

Answer by jaysmommy007 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009