How can I help my daughter be more comfortable tonight?

My almost 3 year old daughter was up all night last night being whiny, and when she started throwing up, I rushed her to the ER. (It's uncommon for her to be sick. In fact, she has had pneumonia one time in her life, and never had anything else. Not even a cold!) They told me she "probably" has a virus, gave her some benadryl and sent us home. She's been acting fine today, eating and drinking fine, but tonight, she's gotten much worse. No throwing up, but very whiny and she absolutely can NOT sleep. Every time she falls asleep, she wakes up violently because she can't sleep or breathe. I don't know what to do, or if I should take her back to the ER. She's also running a fever (I think), but I don't know for sure because I can't locate my darn thermometer. We just moved and everything is still packed away, God only knows where.

crdc91506

Asked by crdc91506 at 4:15 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• take her back to another emergency room. something is not right.shrugging I really hope she gets better.

dbrooks91

Answer by dbrooks91 at 5:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'm sorry. My son was sick last week with something similar. He started with a fever of 102, a headache, vomiting, and very listless. My husband thought something wasn't right and took him to the ER. When they took his temp again it was 104. They gave him Tylenol, something to stop the nausea and vomiting, and did a lot of tests. Chest x-ray, blood tests and cultures, urine check, strep, meningitis, encephalitis, and flu. When his fever was down we took him home. Nothing came up on the tests. We are sure it is viral. His fever went up and down. We kept alternating between Tylenol and Ibuprofen every three hours, placed cold towels behind his neck, in his groin area, behind his knees, and elbows. After two days of not wanting to play or eat he felt better. It was a virus. I hope your child feels better.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• back to the er and make sure you tell them she is having a hard time breathing!!
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 7:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You need to get her back to the doctor and explain to them what is going on with this baby. Follow up with your main pediatrician as well. Something does not sound right to me, Good luck to you, hope she feel better soon.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Sorry to here that,I would however take her back to the ER asap. Something sounds just not right with her behaivor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Thanks for the advice everyone! She finally slept peacefully after five this morning, for about four hours. I, on the other hand, have not slept. Every time she moved, I woke up. So after the fourth time, I gave up. Today she is wanting to play, but keeps spiking a fever, so I'm alternating between tylenol and ibuprofen. If her fever doesn't go down by later this afternoon, I'm taking her to the ER. Right now, my husband and two other boys are at my nieces first birthday party, and he has our only vehicle. She's still having a hard time breathing thru her nose though because it's so stuffed up, but she refuses to blow it and absolutely will NOT let me near her with a snot sucker. LOL I don't blame her on that though!
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009