c-section?

How long after did you hurt? How long after did you wait to have sex? Was it uncomfortable? Were there any complications like infections or anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It took a full 3 weeks before it stopped hurting "AS BAD" - and the full 6-8 weeks to heal. It was uncomfortable, but whatcha gonna do? I wasn't with anyone after I had mine - so I can't answer the sex part. I cleaned it properly and didn't have to worry about any infections. (Of course I also wore damn granny-panties because they were cotton and would come up over the scar - and I wore loose clothes for a couple of months too. I think the first time I put my jeans (my hey-I-still-gotta-cute-booty-jeans), it did pinch and hurt a little when I sat down. But that all went away. I would just expect a 6-8 week recovery time - and you should be fine.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I didn't hurt after the first 3 days, it was uncomfortable after that but not painful. Haven't had sex yet as it has just now (today) been 6 weeks so can't answer that part just yet (hopefully soon!). I was wearing my pre pregnancy clothes 1 week after the c-section and they were loose so I didn't have any problems with clothing bothering the scar. I just clean the scar with soap and water in the shower (I don't scrub) and I have had no problems.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 6:41 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was in hardcore pain for about a week. I wasn't able to bend, walk long distances, drive, stand for too long, etc. I waited the full 6 weeks before I had sex. It didn't hurt, I was just more nervous than anything about it. The only thing that happened with my staples were that they ripped out, but that was my fault. I heard my daughter choking in the middle of the night, so I jumped up to grab her and I tore my incision open and ripped a few of my staples out. I just kept cleaning it with warm water and soap and used butterfly stiches to hold everything together until I got back to my doctor. It was okay :) Oh also, wear granny panties, or at least panties that won't touch your incision & KEEP YOUR BINDER ON!! I took mine off too soon and that made everything worse. Oh, and don't worry about the huge skin flap you'll have left over. I was in my pre-pregnancy clothes the day we left the hospital. The extra skin goes away.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 7:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was in excruciating pain for about 5 days and then it took another 2 weeks to feel totally "normal". I had a large baby too (10 lbs) and that definitely did not help ease the pain when I had to get up and walk around with her and carry her upstairs. I agree w/ everyone on the granny panties. My OB recommended my husband and I wait 6 weeks before having sex, just like a vaginal delivery. We only waited 12 days though, he had just gotten back from Iraq lol. My doc said to clean it like you'd normally clean yourself, warm soap and water in the shower but it's very important to keep it dry (pat dry, not rub) when you're out of the shower.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i was in a lot of pain for around 2 weeks my dr gave me percocet so that helped a ton w/ the pain and although the initial pain was gone if my lower stomach was touched it of course hurt after the staples were removed i was a lot more comfortable it has been almost 3 months since i have had the surgery and i no longer hurt but it still has a numb like feeling all around the incision site they said it would take a while for the feeling to come back. as far as sex my husband was more than ready lol so after the dr cleared me at the 6 wk checkup we gave it a shot and it was EXTREMELY uncomfortable im not going to lie it sucked lol but that to went away after about the 3rd or so time. i was fortunate and did not get an infection that is something that can't always be helped but if you clean your hands especially after using the bathroom and not touch your incision to much you should be fine (which i doubt you would want to lol)
    tynawelch862004

Answer by tynawelch862004 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was in pain for the 2 weeks and when the staples were taken out it was instant relief for me. We did wait the full 6 weeks before having sex. It's been almost 5 yrs and I still have the numbness around the incision.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 9:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my pain stopped about 5 days after the surgery, i quit taking the pain meds like 3 days after it. the first couple days were awful it hurt so bad but once i got home i got a lot better. i had sex after 3 weeks, we are using condoms and so far (knock on wood) no infection, if you do it though make sure he is on top and take it slow the first couple of times, its been 4 weeks since my c-section. but i also had glue, i didnt have staples so i dont know you will be in more pain or less. if you could i would ask for them to staple you on the inside and use surigical glue on the outside.
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was walking in the hospital the day after, but i was REALLY sore for about 5 days. I slept on the couch instead of the bed because my bed was too high up and it hurt to try to get in and out of. I didnt make it back to my room for about 2 weeks. I think we had sex like 3 weeks after, something like that. It was a little uncomfortable the first time so we stopped. But i think we tried again a couple days later and it was better. It was definitely a slow slow night. nothing wild lol.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i was lucky i didn't have much pain, but I also had abdominal surgery 2 years earlier to remove my right ovary. I had a bikini line incision across (horizontal not vertical) with steri strips and I had to keep the incision clean. I still needed antibiotics though for a week. I had no staples or binders. There was no driving for 2 weeks. After that I got cleared to drive and to lift things which was good since that was when my husband went back to work. After my 6 week appointment I got cleared for all activities. Sex still hasn't happened yet, but that has nothing to do with pain.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i have to say having a c-section hurts a lot not at the moment but the healing process.. its starts hurting like 3 hours after u had it... at least for me it was but ibuprofen helped me trough lol... i do gotta say that after u get the stapels taken out it hurts less to walk, to talk, to cough to everything cus those stapels hurt when u have them... mine kinda stopped hurting after 4 wks but after 8 wks ur good as new well atleast for the out side cuz the inside it will still healing.. and the sex part i waited like 2 months after my hubby was really understandable that it hurted and plus the doctor said it was better to wait. i did have to sleep in the couch cuz i couldnt sleep completely flat on my back cuz my skin would stretch and it would hurt... but after 4 weeks you wonk even remember what happened... one thing u gotta keep it clean and dry..
    laly87

Answer by laly87 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2009