IF THERE WERE NO RELIGIONS WOULD LIFE ON EARTH BE MORE PEACEFUL?

ALL THIS BICKERING AND PERSECUTION WOULD END. IF WE ALL BELEIVED IN ONE CREATOR PEACE WOULD REIGHN. EVER STOP TO THINK HOW WARS WOULD NOT BE THERE IF EVERYONE BELEIVED IN ONE CREATOR AND RELIGION WAS A THING OF THE PAST.

Asked by older at 8:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Religion is just one excuse used to make war and murder. If it were taken away, I think something else would take it's place because there are always violent, selfish, egomaniacal men out there looking for valdiation by using barbaric ways to proove they are right and to force others to think the same way.

I do think religion has caused a great amount of suffering throughout history and still does to this day. It divides people instead of bringing them together and ultimately causes bitterness, anger and death.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:35 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Wars are not all caused by religion. We still have bad people who do bad things for reasons that have nothing to do with religion. Personally, I think if MORE people had religion we would have less violence and hate.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• ITSMESTEPH11, YOU ARE RIGHT WE WOULD STILL HAVE BAD PEOPLE, BUT YOU MUST ADMIT THAT RELIGION HAS CAUSED UGLY WARS FOR CENTURIES,.

Answer by older at 8:37 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Religion is just one of many outlets for selfish and gruesome behaviour, just one excuse people can use to take advantage of or oppress others. There are many others, and we do see just as much dysfunction and travesty in secular societies, or in situations where religion is not involved.

So, no, peace wouldn't come naturally just because we all agree religiously or if religion is done away with. Its the faults within us all - selfishness, greed, prejudices, etc, that exist in the hearts of mankind that cause turmoil in the world - those faults just find religion to be one outlet (out of many) to exploit.

I think to blame religion is taking it too far, as all religions expect compassion and kindness from their followers.. So, in essence, religion isn't bad, its just that there are people who abuse religion, or who choose to practice their faiths without remembering these expectations to be so.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If we were all to live up to the virtues our religions expect of us, to learn to truly love one another, to truly be compassionate and kind to one another, as our faiths all tell us we should,THEN we will see peace.

(not saying religion is the only way to achieve peace, but that until all people are following their faiths as they were meant to be followed, with loving kindness for all mankind, its not likely that peace will be attainable on a large scale....)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• No Older, its not the religion. I understand what youre saying for sure, but its not religion that causes division, strife, wars, and ugliness in the World. Its people. People who have these things in their heart. People who want to justify their anger, and hatred as okay because they were wronged. People unwilling to forgive as Christ forgave us. If we truly had compassion for others, we wouldnt care what faith they were, we could just love others wherever they are. Once we are secure in our own faith, we are okay letting others believe what they want while living our lives as an example. If we believe Gods Word is true and it works and its the only way to Heaven, then we dont need to force that on others. We just need to love people where they are and live our own lives as an example. I found out that if Gods Word works in my life and I am a success, then people sit up and take notice. Older, I love your compassion.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• BAMDGEEK521, THERE IS A LOT OF TRUTH TO WHAT YOU STATED, BUT EVERYONE DOES NOT FOLLOW WITH LOVING KINDNESS FOR MANKIND.

Answer by older at 8:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• okay, I just read your response Bandgeek and I love it. I think you said the same thing I did, but in a much more articulate way....LOL...You put your words together much better than me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• MOMOOFSAEE, THANK YOU! UNFORTUNATELY PEOPLE IS WHAT MAKES RELIGION, IT IS MAN MADE WITH ALL THEIR HUMAN FAULTS.

Answer by older at 8:48 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• THERE IS A LOT OF TRUTH TO WHAT YOU STATED, BUT EVERYONE DOES NOT FOLLOW WITH LOVING KINDNESS FOR MANKIND
    ________________________________
    Thats true, Older, but this is not something we can make others do. We just have to model it and leave their behavior with them and God. I know it seems as if there is no justice for those who are being hypocrites, causing strife, haters, warmongers, and any other evil you can think of down to the little old lady in the church who means well, but is a major busy body and hurts others with her words, but there is. There is justice and consequences for that behavior. Some worldly and some eternal. I dont desire to see my fellow man suffer for their own behavior, but the Truth is that they will. God will judge this behavior just like he will judge me. There is a day of reckoning for everyone.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2009