Doggie Boot Camp

So, my mother has a basset hound that she has finally admitted shes out of her league with inregards to training. So I have taken Sophie to give her some basic obedience. Any info on clicker training, particularly video links, is welcome. :)
I've already seen a lot, but more is always a plus.
Also, any methods to get her use to ear cleaning without a fight is a plus. She becomes a holy terror when you try to clean her ears.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 8:44 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pets

• Yep, massaging her ears, gently while she's relaxing. No offense, but if you just randomly walked up to me and shoved a cloth in my ear, I'd freak out too. If I had been conditioned that you approaching my ear meant ,soothing rubs and scratching - it would be completely different. Depending on the age of the dog, you can either train it to love ear cleaning or to at least tolerate it. Treat training also helps. My English Mastiff is so conditioned to having his ears cleaned that as soon as I'm done - he goes straight to the pantry and waits for his treat. I have a 12 week old puppy and part of her conditioning is me rubbing her ears, tickling the insides of her ears, handling her feet, and looking in her mouth. Right now it's just part of her loving - but later it'll save me headaches.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Yeah you can touch her ears all you like. Its when you get a cottom swab near them that she freaks.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2009