My son is a little obsessed w/ his penis. Is it ok to let him play?

Every time the diaper comes off his hands go straight for it and he mashes it around and pulls it like play dough. He actually managed to scratch the head, but he doesn't seem to mind he staiil plays w/ it. Is it ok to let him go for it or should I keep him off a little bit? I know it's normal but this seems like a little overkill. By the way he just turned 1.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He did the same thing with his nose and toes. Sometimes if you make a big deal about it they think it is a big deal. It will soon get old. I wouldn't tell him no, maybe just tell him it's time to get dressed. Overalls sound like a good option lol
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Nah, that's perfectly normal. The only time I stopped my sons was when they tried it in public, OR started trying to shove their hand inside their diaper - but I soon figured out part of that had to do with them recognizing the urge to pee. Didn't mean they were exactly ready to potty train, but it was a good cue to start thinking about it. My youngest potty trained at 16 months, the oldest potty trained at 24 month. It was okay with me to give up diapers sooner with the youngest one.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Mom, once they discover it the fast friendship never fades. Not even in adulthood. Men are still fascinated by it.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Totally normal. My son does the same thing during diaper changes or bath time (not always, but enough). It fascinates him. Maybe its a mystery to them because it stays "hidden" most of the time and its like discovering a new toy or something. Who knows, LOL.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 1:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• totally normal, my son does this all the time. he also likes the shower head to spray him there to. it is nothing sexual, it is just a pleasant feeling to them much like the satin lining on blankets that they like to rub. also they are exploring, you have to think that his penis is covered 90% of the time. so you expose it and he is like, oh yeah, that thing is there to, better grab it while i can. lol. girls do the same thing, my daughters both used to feel themselves. actually they still do and they are tweens now. perfectly natural part of the human experience.
    hsprinkel

Answer by hsprinkel at 6:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009