When did you first take you child out of the country?

My dh and I vacation with our dd 2-3 times per year. Before her we traveled all over the world. Since having her we have kept our vacations in the US so we don't have to deal with customs and worrying about an infant/toddler out of the country. She is 3 1/2 now and we are ready to travel beyond the US again. Anyone who had left the country with a child, what age and how much of a pain was it?

ajw1980

Asked by ajw1980 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Travel

• Oh - lol - sorry, one other thought - Again, depending on where you go, what your normal travel experiences are / what sort you prefer, I would say that you might find it's actually more fun with a little one.

Children can sometimes be the "universal language", and having your child along might actually make you more approachable by some of the locals in the places you go, which can spark conversations and experiences that you wouldn't have necessarily had otherwise :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:29 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• This won't help answer your question, unfortunately, but we took the boys to Canada when they were about 5 and 8. We drove up to see Niagara Falls and were there for an afternoon. This was before passports were required. So it really wasn't much more than driving between the states other than we had to stop and show drivers licenses.

Answer by Bmat at 9:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My ds turned 1 while we were traveling out of the country. Our dd was born out of the country. Mind you, we're military, so it's a little different.

But as far as getting a passport for your child, traveling, etc, it really isn't that hard or different than traveling inside the US.

One thing to know, when you apply for your LO's passport, both parents have to go and sign in person. A power of attorney or a previously signed form won't cut it. You both have to sign, or you have to be able to present a legally binding document showing that you have sole legal and physical custody and / or the other parent is dead. We just went through this with our kids in Jan. Our ds could sign with only one parent, because he was only 16, but our dd had to have both of us, because she's 15.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• cont

As far as customs and stuff goes, it's really not that big a deal doing it with little ones. The only thing I would be concerned about, depending on where you travel, is being extra diligent about things like making sure the water is boiled or bottled, making sure fresh fruits and veggies have been properly washed, etc.

But other than that, I would go ahead and travel with her.

Hope this helps, and have fun :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I took my youngest DD to Ireland & The Netherlands when she was only 2 months old. We had a marvelous time, even though she doesn't remember any of it, lol. As far as passports, there is a form that one parent can sign & have notarized that allows the other parent to obtain a passport. Please see: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• They told us that we couldn't do that anymore, because there were too many instances of parents forging it or having it forged and taking children out of the country without the other parent's permission.

They told us this in Jan, so maybe the rules have changed though :-) Either way, I would go ahead and take your lo and have a good time :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Go! You can totally do a beach vacation. Europe might be out because of the driving around or sight seeing a 3.5 year old won't appreciate but go to the Caribbean or something. Took mine to Cayman at 4 months and to Europe at 8 months. Truthfully, we waited till age 3 to take them again out of the country but again did Europe and the Caribbean. Some flights are just too far. That was our biggest consideration. I really wanna take them to Greece but what a flight.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• First we went to Canada ,he was 1y5m. Then went to Europe when he was 2y4m. He is a little traveling boy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We first took DS abroad when he was 5 months then later at 15 months and 23 months. We haven't traveled abroad since because the fare for under 2 years is 10% of adult fare and over 2 years it's 90% of adult fare. Absolutely insane.

Getting a passport photo can be tricky with babies but a toddler that likes the camera would be easier. My guy wasn't even 3 months when he had his taken and he still had to sit up on the stool so my husband had to crouch behind him and hold him up. He's flopping to one side and has a string of drool coming from his mouth. I think the hardest thing with a toddler would be bathroom breaks actually what with the tiny airplane bathrooms and rules about when you can and can't walk around the cabin. Kids aren't great at crossing their legs for 30 minutes till the seatbelt sign goes off!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We first took our daughter on a long flight (16 hours) when she was 18 months. I made sure we had the bulk head seats, more room as you probably know. Anyway do not worry go and have a great time. She may or may not remember this young but do not let her age concern you. Customs no big deal, getting a passport is also not a big deal, time consuming however. Now our daughter is on her second passport and is one fantastic little traveler! The more you go the better they are!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2009