LEAD BY EXAMPLE?

I AM AWARE THAT WITH CHILDREN WE LEAD BY EXMPLE. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN COMING FROM A VERY RIGID CHRISTIAN BACKGROUND AND TURNING OUT TO BE AN UNBELEIVER? DOES THIS SAY SOMETHING ABOUT YOU AS A PERSON OR SOMETHING IN THAT FAITH THAT TURNS SOME OFF?

Asked by older at 9:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I just want to share something with you I learned from God today and this is a great truth:

Spiritual Rules without a personal relationship with Jesus = Rebellion
    Parenting Rules without a relationship of love with your children = Rebellion

Meaning no rule mean nothing if the motivation is wrong, as a christian we don't help people by ruling them up : it is not about religion or set of rules to live by but if we trust God with every fiber of our soul mind and spirit He and only Him will be guided us and encrypt those rules or principles or values or moral nobody else but if we as christian live as religious people then we are missing God and without God we can ever follow rules our tendency is to do the contrary to be rebels and rules never will make you pure Jesus does not us so nobody can become proud on themselves. I lived by religion and now I'm living by a close relationship with Jesus and now I really have freedom
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 3:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Both. But not just the parents, but the community as a whole.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was raised in a very strict Catholic home. By the 8th grade was thinking for myself. It was not until my late 20's I began to research my own religion and became Catholic because of my feelings and convictions.

I am sure there are some Christians who practice their religion because their parents do but not many. Interesting question I might ask now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• We can lead children by example, but children are also human beings with their own minds, experiences, beliefs, etc. My best friend was raised in a fundamentalist Christian household with her two brothers. Out of the three kids, one brother is still a fundamentalist Christian and is raising his kids the same. My friend and her other brother are not. My friend is an atheist, and I can't speak for her brother but he is at the very least not practicing the faith he grew up with. In my friend's case, she just had a lot of questions that she didn't feel her faith answered to her satisfaction, and she found that at low times in her life her non-Christian friends were there for her whereas her church community was not. So a combination of her own independant thought and the experiences she had in that church led away from the faith she grew up in to something else.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Parents can only teach a child so much. Once the child is no longer a child and can think freely without the help of their parents, their faith and beliefs are their own. Sometimes it falls in line with their upbringing, sometimes it doesn't. I believe faith and beliefs are unique in each individual person. the majority of their beliefs may fall in line with the majority and/or parents, but peel the layers back and you will find the little differences.

I think parents lead by example, to help distinguish more of a right from wrong guideline, morals, behavior, respect, responsibilities, etc. These are more what children tend to follow.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I WOULD THINK IF A CHILD GROWS UP WITH A BELEIF SYSTEM THAT APPEALS TO THEIR SENSE OF JUST AND RIGHT THEY WOULD PROBABLY KEEP IT FOR LIFE.

Answer by older at 11:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• older, everyone has the right to choose what they believe. Religious (or non) preferences have nothing at all to do with how a parent raises their child; it's a spiritual choice. Did you raise your daughter to be gay? This seems like a bait question.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• ANON, EVERYTHING TO SOME PEOPLE LIKE YOU SEEMS TO BE A BAIT QUESTION, THERE IS NO AGENDA IN MY QUESTION, JUST A SIMPLE OBSERVATION. BEING GAY IS NOT A RELIGION WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH MY QUESTION? THE ONLY BAIT HERE IS THE ONE YOU ARE TRYING TO IMPLANT.

Answer by older at 5:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Just because someone grows up in a religious home doesn't mean the kids never rebel or stray away....this is complete ignorance to think so.... Lots of kids that grow up in church grow up....move out and live their life...what does that have to do with their parents? My parents did a mighty fine job raising me and my brother and both of us grew up and did what we wanted to do... wasn't always what our parents wanted but they loved us just the same

I am still a believer, I just don't live my life to the standards that most Christian churches require... I am a good person.... I live my life the best I can... but if I feel like I need a cigarette I will smoke one... if I want to take a few shots of Whiskey... I will...that has nothing to do with how my parents raised me or the religion I grew up with... it has to do with I'm an adult and I do what I want, when I want and how I want... nothing at all to do with how I was raised
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I agree with hazeldove about what she said.... My parents showed me how to live a good life and be a good person and I still apply those things in my life and show my dd these things so she will grow up and be a good person.... I still donate my time when needed...I still help ppl out when they are in need... I still buy Xmas gifts for needy kids.... I still live my life as good as I possibly can I just don't feel the need to go to church and I don't pray as much as I should....so the question you asked to me is just plain stupid IMO... no disrespect but why would you ask a question like this...... Did you kids grow up and do everything that you instilled in them as kids? Did they grow up to be exactly what you wanted or expected? They never disappointed you in any way at all? Did they ever go against your beliefs? Every child no matter what home they come from grow up and form a life of their own.....
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2009