Christians do you practice your religion because that is what your were taught?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I profess to being a Chrisitan because my entire family is Christian and I grew up going to Sunday school and church. However, I've had some real questions lately about whether or not there is only one God. I mean the Christians believe in their God, the Muslims believe in their God, and the Buddhists in theirs. How can I be sure I'm right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Christians and Muslims (and Jews) all pray to the same god.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Anon, 10:21, that is opinion. Many people believe the Allah is not the God of the Bible but is the pre-Islamic pagan Moon god with the same name that was adopted by Muhammad when he formed the religion of Islam.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:26 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i was raised Christian, however i stepped away from it for about 2 years. i thought about a lot of things & asked myself some really hard questions. but i always came back to the Christian faith...just not anywhere close to the Christian faith i was raised in. i learned its more about praising God & living a Christ-like life than what i was taught. i was raised that you had to follow all of the church's rules even if they had nothing to do with the Bible & that emotions had no place in religion.

so while i was raised in a strict Christian religion, i now have an open relationship w/ God & no organization making up rules & "traditions" as they go.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:29 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• anon: Christians and Muslims (and Jews) all pray to the same god.

This is true, and Buddhism doesn't have a specific god. (Buddha is not a god) Instead it focuses on individual effort and ability to overcome desire and suffering and achieve Enlightenment, to escape the cycle of life and rebirth.

IhartU: Many people believe the Allah is not the God of the Bible but is the pre-Islamic pagan Moon god with the same name that was adopted by Muhammad when he formed the religion of Islam.

This is incorrect. Actually, Allah is thought to be the head God (El) of the Pagan pantheon of the time/place in which Islam was founded. In all my studies of Islam, I have never once heard/read of a "moon god" having anything to do with it, even in my discussion with Muslims (and we have discussed the inaccuracy of such a belief before)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was raised in a Christian home, but indoctrination and orthodoxy was not stressed. We were encouraged to discover and learn for ourselves, to question and pursue that which spoke most true to us. We weren't told that we had to believe this or that, or that other beliefs (or even faiths) were wrong - instead we were given a passion for God, and the means by which to take that passion in whatever direction we felt most comfortable.

Therefore, my beliefs are completely my own, because of my own study, contemplation, and understanding, (as well as my relationship with God and His presence in my life) and not because I was taught or raised to believe a certain way.

My mother understands faith is very personal, and gave us the freedom to develop our spirituality in whatever way worked best for us. She encouraged us to question, to think outside of the orthodox, and to discover what was/is true to our hearts.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was raised an a christian home also but I took my personal decision to follow jesus when I was 7 years old and that was my own personal decision and I will never regret it !!!! I just can't keep on living without Jesus in my life !!!
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 3:31 AM on Aug. 24, 2009